El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost 12 weeks I finally got to bring the Elky home. And of course it raining in Southern California so I can't work on it. :lol: You just gotta laugh. Anyway this is how it looks, I'll take some better pictures after I finish the outside trim.

·
Registered
314 Posts
looks pretty sleek with the bumper silver
:)

·
1,867 Posts
Is that a fiberglass bumper or a cut down real one? Yes, I like the stripes too.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

The bumpers are fiberglass ones from Lauren Eng. They are nice but did take alot of work to get them to look and fit right.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Very nice! You going with a billit grill?

·
1,867 Posts
Fiberglass is nice but with my luck, someone would run into me as soon as I left the shop. I need my metal to save the Elky!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks very nice,hope it stopped raining!!!.Trade you for the snow.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan - yes I have a billet grille waiting to be installed. Hopefully I'll get it in soon (along with a thousand other things).

Tommy - I know what you mean about fiberglass but for the look I wanted it was the only way to go. Also I've installed some square tubing behind the front bumper and plan to do the same for the rear. May not offer all the protection of the stock bumpers but it will be something.

Terry - no thanks on the snow. :)

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
I did the square tubing behind the front and rear fiberglass bumpers as well. I was hit in the rear last year, and the only damage was to the bumper...would have crumpled the bed if not for the tubing. Should have seen the other car he he he.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I really have to do the square tubing. Thanks for rekindling the idea. If you'll look at my avatar pic, you'll see a Photoshop sneek peek of what I'm doing to my rear pan, tailgate and taillights.

The plan is for six Corvette Sting Ray backup light clear lenses with red LED bulbs. These will be connected to a 1969 Cougar sequential turn signal box. Hope it works.

My other "trick" modification, now in the works, is the grafting of a 1967 Chevelle Super Sport hood "humps" into my hood. I'm really excited about the outcome of these mods and looking forward to next year's show season.

When I finally get around to doing a frame off restorod, I'll also delete the side running lights.

If I didn't have a fairly new 350/330 crate engine, I'd seriously consider a crate 502 in this Elky.
-dan

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dan the look you're going for sounds nice. The filled in tailgate really gives a new look to the 5th gen.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Yep, sweet!

You gonna' do something special for exhaust tips?

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No I was just thinking of leaving them like that. Sort of the Plain Jane part of the setup.

:p I have some polished 2.5 slash tips that are just iching to be installed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow!

The car looks great man! It's almost paint time for me too. I'm trying to think of something creative to do with my hood (2" scoop) but if all else fails, I might do stirpes like yours. They came out nicer than any other stripes I've ever seen on a 5th Gen. Did the shop do the fitting on the roll pan? I installed mine but it doesn't line up perfectly, the shops can handle that, right? The exhaust will look nice with the tips installed, I just had a Borla system installed on my Camino and it's got dual 2.5 chrome slant-cuts. Looks really nice. Damn, I need to post some pics sometime...

Kris

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Wow!

[quote='84ElCaminoSS]Did the shop do the fitting on the roll pan? I installed mine but it doesn't line up perfectly, the shops can handle that, right? [/quote]
The shop did have to do work to both front and rear bumpers to get the fit right. Any good shop should be able to them right.

Kris post some pictures already. :lol:

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Slash tips are nice. I also like the 69-70 Chevelle SS tips.

On the rolled pan fit. The one from Honest Charley is a perfect fit. It's the one without the license plate cove and uses original Elky taillights.

The two I've helped install from Lauren Engineering needed some work to make them fit well. One required actually cutting 1/2" out of the "flat part" and glassing the rear pan back together. These two had the license plate cove in the pan.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Your car looks real good nice job, and i bet that lt1 works real awesome in your elky also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts