El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have strung my brain, :???: not to mention my patience, trying to find out where I can go to get a copy of the original build sheet and the RPO codes for my particular 1971 El Camino SS...right now the body is on my rotissierre and parts are stacked neatly everywhere but no sighting of a build sheet. I got a copy of both those items from Corvette Museum for my 1985 Corvette Coupe Targa Top when I started it's restoration. Now I need/want this information for my 71 Elkie so I can restore her with all her original options.......can anyone help me in my quest ?? All the sites just seem to forward you to a site to buy a car....not really give any helpful info. Thanks in advance for any help !!!:dontknow:
RustyGearHead:nanawrench:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

I appreciate the replies but those sites only want to send you to find a car to buy...been to them ....didn't give any info I needed....just sent me to other sites on the run around....must not have been doing it right I guess
R:nanawrench:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not the right info

I am NOT looking for generic information on all El Caminos....I want to find the build sheet and RPO's for MY El Camino......just as I got a copy of the original build sheet for my Corvette with all the options for that particular car.....I am trying to find the same infor for MY El Camino as I have no info as to what came with it originally and that info is what I need....there has to be someplace within the Chevy world where I can get that info....or buy a copy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

I appreciate all the help, guys, but apparently I won't be able to find the info I really needed as it pertained to my particular Elkie.......since i purchased it with no engine/trans or interior complete....the only things that were not molested was all the bright work and all the emblems including all the proper SS emblems and body is straight except for the usual rust locations....All I know was that it was a 350/350hp "SS"....I have no other info so I guess I will just have to customize it to my taste.....heheheheh.....LOL.....
Thanks again for the help....such as it was...your help was appreciated !!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,864 Posts
You can get if it had a 6 or 8 cyl motor, what paint color, What color interior trim it had from the Body number plate !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah....got that...V8 350 Turbo-Fire , I guess, book says 270 hp 290 tq was standard. ....Sandalwood Paint and interior trim.....it is a true SS / Custom....other than that...?????....LOL...I have a 1986 Corvette TPI I have built that is putting out 380 rwhp and little over 420 lbs tq as per the dyno....it is on the engine cradle but is ready to go into the Elkie as soon as body and frame work is done.......that ought to turn heads....LOL !! Anyway....it gets me out of bed every day !
Thanks again for the input ya'all !!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeah....got that...V8 350 Turbo-Fire , I guess, book says 270 hp 290 tq was standard. ....Sandalwood Paint and interior trim.....it is a true SS / Custom....other than that...?????....LOL...I have a 1986 Corvette TPI I have built that is putting out 380 rwhp and little over 420 lbs tq as per the dyno....it is on the engine cradle but is ready to go into the Elkie as soon as body and frame work is done.......that ought to turn heads....LOL !! Anyway....it gets me out of bed every day !
Thanks again for the input ya'all !!
Then, and i ask this with respect: if you don't have all the original equipment in the first place, and you are putting the vette motor in, why soo concerned with all that original paperwork?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
answer

I was going to try to come as close to putting it back to as original as i could as per equipment and options...the Vette motor was intended for another car but since i don't seem to be able to get the information I was seeking, as I am told, I might as well have some fun customizing it.....does that answer your question?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Check the seats. I found 3 build sheets one located on my straight bench seat under the driver side. Which was pretty beat up. Between the foam and metal seat frame. Then also one on each seat backrest. Between the seat cover and frame. These two were in perfect condition.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I found the one on my '72 on top of the gas tank. It was not in great shape; legible but very fragile. If its not there, the next place to check is the door panels and the last place would be the seats as dexcribed above.
good luck!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I appreciate all the help, guys, but apparently I won't be able to find the info I really needed as it pertained to my particular Elkie.......since i purchased it with no engine/trans or interior complete....the only things that were not molested was all the bright work and all the emblems including all the proper SS emblems and body is straight except for the usual rust locations....All I know was that it was a 350/350hp "SS"....I have no other info so I guess I will just have to customize it to my taste.....heheheheh.....LOL.....
Thanks again for the help....such as it was...your help was appreciated !!
Too bad its not a '72, as that year you CAN identify with the VIN code letter if it was a genuine SS (or at least the had 454 which made it an SS), because my former 72 had the W in the VIN.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have heard there are more ss's today in america than were made originaly .ford and dodge put it on the vin g.m. only put it on the buildsheet as far as i know for 3rd gen.could be wrong though

1 - 20 of 28 Posts