El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having terrible leaks coming from firewall area on 66. Seams like it may be around heater core box on pass side, and I don't know where on drivers side, but they are pretty significant. Has anyone experienced this, and how to fix? The insulations (whats left anyway) gets soaked and drips to floor boards. I put silicone around some places I thought were the problems, but no luck. And getting the heater core cover off from firewall underhood looks like I will have to take inner fender off. Any tricks? Any advice? Thanks in advance........leaks suck

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
take the wiper grill off and look down in there you may have a rust hole in there somewhere.putting silicone on the inside just causes the water to pool somewhere else.use seam sealer or strip caulking.take a spy mirror and look as far down the cowl as far as possible.if yoou see nothing,have someone run a hose over it while your inside looking for leaks.take out the glove box so you can see better.look up to make sure its not the winshield pocket leaking.i hope this points you in the right dirrection

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

Check out the auto stores for window seal it comes in a roll and looks like black lickerish never gets hard. I used it to seal my heater core cover works great. You can fill it in anywhere.:nanawrench: It's called ribbon sealer by metro super soft they have all kinds of weather stripping.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've an 85 that had similar problem. Come to find out it was the windshield leaking, not the firewall. May check with a hose, and have someone look under dash while water runs. I replaced the windshield and problem solved, just a thought !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
windshield was replaced last summer, I'm sure this is from both sides of the firewall somewhere, but I will take wiper cowl off and see what I can see. And, hkdup87, I'm sure you are trying to show me something but all I can focus on is that cool Rocky Mountain goodness................mmmmmmm:beer:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Worst-case scenario.....remove the heater & defroster stuff from the firewall. The seals on those may be the leak on the passenger side. Also you may have holes in the floor where it slants up to the firewall, if the leak has been there for quite a while. And even the firewall may have some pin-holes. Pulling the carpet & insulation off of the floor might be a good idea.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts