El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced my distributor with a new Taylor unit and new taylor wires and new plugs . all this stuff was old and needed replacing . now i'm looking in my Haynes manual and it shows the wiring quite different then how i removed it . 18436572 .
is the Haynes manual wrong ? or was how it was wired before wrong .
any help greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
That's the firing order for a sbchevy. If you have a V6 it will be different.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
If you're still a little confused, it shouldn,t be too hard to find a few good sbc pics where you can see the layout. You'll have to play with wire lengths a little to get them optimum & if you have to twist distributor too far in one direction to get proper timing, all 8 wires can be moved over one post.
This is old school car guy stuff, in high school industrial arts, it was a project for a few of us to throw all 8 wires in a pile , remove distributor ,spin engine , & get it all back together & timed before the hour class is up. Now I have an LS1 with a coil & short wire per cyl & wifes car with coil on plug uptop. Where,s the challenge in that????:dontknow:
Ps, on an older vehicle, there is the possiblility of a different engine , such as an olds v-8, which I first had . Distributor is still in back , but looks different than sbc, also has starter on drivers side.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies . haynes manual is wrong . maybe a misprint . put the wires back on 18436572 just like they came off .
started first try . think i will toss this manual in the recycle bin .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts