El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my brand new 71 El Camino that has been sitting in the Florida sun for 15 years and purchased for a bag of peanuts as soon as I get the keys we will attempt to start.
On day 1 I plan on PB Blasting the spark plug threads.
On day two we plan on Marvel into the cyl. and some into the carb air horn.
Day 3 plan on using the breaker bar to turn balancer to check for lock up.
and if it moves plan on using an auxillary gas tank and cleaning off the present plugs because if she starts I feel very strongly they will get all fouled up.
I am amazed at how intact things are after all this time. One dent on .25 panel and some rust holes. carb is holley and looks brand new minus the cob webs.
Any other ideas, love to hear em.
Thanks

Attachments

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Should be fun to spark it. You might spray the ignition wires, dist. Cap inside and out with AD-40. A couple of squirts into the alternator will blow out grime and help free up any crap that has accumulated. WD will help insulate the eires if they are cracked and nasty.:smileyb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good luck man! Keep us updated on how she works. Hope its not seized..:neutral:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have started quite a few older Gm products,and they started with not too much difficulty after sitting more than 10 years.
Don't forget the photos and video...I bet it starts.:beer:

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is great! I am all excited and it's not even mine. That carb does look brand new. Keep shooting pictures. This is an interesting story. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
852 Posts
if you wanted to get fancy id check to see if its siezed, if its free, id change the oil, pull the distributor, and charge the oiling system with a priming tool. that way youde know its well lubricated before you try and crank it.
of course you dont have to do it, but it gives you peace of mind knowing the bearings are safe.

if you wire brush the plugs, dont use a steel wire brush, itll wipe metal onto the ceramic and make misfiring easier. if you plan on a tune-up though, brand new plug wires, cap and rotor would be a good idea to throw on now. itll make running easier and again, youre eliminating possible problems before they can become one

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trust me. I am jonesing to get started on it. Need title and keys first. But we plan on lubing as much as I can get to and use the breaker bar on balancer bolt to see if she moves with plugs out. Then will add as many new parts as possible to make sure it fires correctly.
She has not given up the ghost yet as the tires are almost flat but all 4 have about 10 lbs in them. I expect frozen brakes, no real biggie, trans and brake fluid levels need checked too.
:)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
put a fresh battery in it fill the float bowls with fresh gas and crank it.if it starts let it run for about 15 min and shut it down and service everything. put a gallon gas can with a hose to the fuel pump so it only gets clean fresh gas and let it run. mix 1 qrt of marvel mistery oil in with the fuel to lube the top end while it runs until it loosens up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts