El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Steven and I am looking to buy my first car. I've always loved El Caminos and I really have no idea what to expect when it comes to pricing. I've been looking on craigslist and I found a couple that I liked, but I would like some suggestions on models that would not only be ideal for a first time buyer, but also some idea of what I should expect to pay.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you stick in the 5th generation, 1978-1987, you can buy them all day for less than $5,000. I saw one that was rough and needed a new engine for $1500. I've seen great ones for $8,000. The fourth generation (1973-1977) are the least popular, but nothing really wrong with them if you don't have to get them smogged. From 1972 back, the cars are eligible for entry to street rod shows, so the price goes up.

What are you looking for, and where?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked on craigslist and found a couple that I liked in the $2500 range. There was one that I really liked in fair condition. The A/C needs to be rewired and the hoses need to be replaced. Would that be difficult/expensive to replace?

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
I have an 80 street/strip car I'm still working on but it is driveable for $3500.00 or a 68 Show Car ready to roll, $16,500.
When you find something that catches your eye post pics and give us as much detailed info as you can and we''ll do our best to help!!!
And welcome, by the way!!!:beer:
Donny:texas:

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Hose need to be replaced why? If the system is open, (lines disconnected) it will need more than lines.
Post your link and let us see, and if it's in the Dallas / Forth Worth area I may have already checked it out.
Donny

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also the interior is complete and it has custom bench seats, and the carpet has been redone. The owner is in the process of replacing the heads. It has a 305 small block, 350 turbo racing transmission with a true dual exhaust. Is this a good deal? The owner mentioned that it needed a little TLC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Donny, the owner didn't mention why the hoses needed replacing. What might it take to fix?

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
If the motor won't run (for any reason) then I consider it as a bad motor needing a new one.
I'd like to see his ad
Donny

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Steven, welcome from Florida. If at all possible get under the vehicle and check out the floorpan areas and the frame for rust perforation especially in the are just behind the rear wheels. Very important for you to be aware of severe corrosion or cracked/bent frames. Good luck searching. PS. Don't believe anything you read in a Craig's List ad until you have eyeballed it.
James:beer:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks lockjaw, I've already talked to the guy on the phone and I'm going to check it out sometime this week. I'll keep those things in mind while inspecting the car.

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Seen it, he's been pushing it for a while. He also has a motorcycle that he wanted to trade both for something else.
It does look pretty good on Craigslist but they ALL do!!!
So no A/C, motor won't run and wiring problems, you better be ready to work on it. If it's your first car I'd say pass for one that runs
Donny

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He said he would have it running by this Friday, but we will see how that goes. I'm checking out another 80 on Tuesday, I'll let you guys know how that goes.

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
I'll PM you my address and if you want to come by one day after I get off work I'll show you what to look for in buying on.
I MAY have bought and sold a couple!!:poke:
Donny

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Take your time looking around. Keep your wallet in your pocket. Eventually you eill come across a great deal on a nice running Camino. Don't buy someone elses problems. There are sweet ones that pop up all the time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts