El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1982 elco with a 4.4 (267ci) with a CCC (Computer Controlled Carb). It gets 13.5mpg on a good day. Anything north of 1982 will have this system in a Gen 5. Good Luck.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I drove my 79 without all the Computor stuff from New Jersey to Florida in October. I averaged better than 20 mpg at 75 mph on 95. 305/350 trans/2.41 gears.
Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are no El Camino's with the "modern mixture" systems that were factory installed, they had some ecm assisted carburetors which predated the TBI systems but those were a far cry from reliable fuel injection.

There are a bunch of modern EFI El Camino's these days but they are LS swapped by the owners ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There are no El Camino's with the "modern mixture" systems that were factory installed, they had some ecm assisted carburetors which predated the TBI systems but those were a far cry from reliable fuel injection.

There are a bunch of modern EFI El Camino's these days but they are LS swapped by the owners ;)
Interesting. I think the most important recent invention in the automobile field was the oxygen sensor which enabled precise real-time adjustment of the mixture, whether by fuel rods as in the quadrajet, or in electronic fuel injection systems.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
I am as happy as a pig in mud with the Quadrajet "no feedback" carb and there are plenty of us that feel that way. When we can get 24-25 mpg on the road why go anywhere else.

·
Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
381 Posts
I had no idea that there could be ANYTHING controlling the carb on my 1981, but after reading a few dozen posts, I pulled a kick panel, and you can bet there was a nice cutout where the box could have been. In my El Camino's case, the original carb and intake had long since been replaced with Holley parts...... :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting. I think the most important recent invention in the automobile field was the oxygen sensor which enabled precise real-time adjustment of the mixture, whether by fuel rods as in the quadrajet, or in electronic fuel injection systems.
Well the 02 sensor allows monitoring of how air/fuel mixture in the combustion process just performed but the ability to adjust that mixture in real time effectively requires a lot more input about the process before combustion. Incoming air temp and volume, the commanded demand at the throttle plates, precise fuel control that is independent of vacuum (pressurized fuel injection) and spark timing that can be adjusted without requiring inertia or vacuum is the input that gets the air fuel ratio close before the combustion process so the ECM is not always playing catch up with the obsolete exhaust data.

TBI improved on carburation for much of that but gave way to sequential fuel injection and coil on plug ignition pretty quickly once the tech was ready, that was when the tiny little V8's like the 4.8 started lasting 300k miles and making more power than the 5.7 liter V8's that preceded them which were loaded with carbon and worn out in 125k miles.

I love the old cars and I have a fleet of them but the very best engines that I could build in the 80's with the best tech available at that time were immensely inferior to what the factory was kicking out from 2000 forward; that's why I keep building the old cars but I don't use the old engine tech anymore ;)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts