El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the FiTech Go Street 400 on my totally stock 5th Gen. Does anyone know of a good place to connect the white wire to? The instructions say it has to be hot at key-on AND while cranking. The "while cranking" is the hard part. it also says to NOT connect it to the coil terminal.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
How 'bout a using a relay switched by the coil wire? If in doubt, FI Tech support should clear it up.

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
I've installed 10+ and have hooked the ignition feed wire to the pink wire at the coil terminal on every one of them with no problems. The BAT + to the alternator output terminal - no problems. The TACH to the tach terminal at the distributor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i think when it says don't hook to ignition coil positive they do that because some older vehicles having a ballast resister before the coil somewhere. i ended up hooking that wire up to the same wire that powers the ballast resistor for the coil on my dodge.

Reactions: Jima

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
If you are still running points it will be a problem. they cause too much interference and the FITech is not sure what to do with firing the injectors. Had that on a 65 chrysler 300 i put it on. It does set a code to tell you. Replaced the points with a Petronix conversion - no more problem.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
How 'bout a using a relay switched by the coil wire? If in doubt, FI Tech support should clear it up.

I've used the reduced voltage with ballast resistor/resistance wire to switch a relay without problems. I expect the relay would isolate any interference from points but in my application the points distributor was replaced with electronic dist.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've used the reduced voltage with ballast resistor/resistance wire to switch a relay without problems. I expect the relay would isolate any interference from points but in my application the points distributor was replaced with electronic dist.
i would be a bit worried about possible relay chatter with reduced voltage on system with a ballast resister. i know relays do require so much voltage to keep on or else they will chatter. plus it would likely be just as easy to run a wire over to the ballast resister and catch a full 12v signal instead of what the resister puts out. i know that i got the keyed ignition source when i installed fitech on my dodge.

as far as hooking it up to the coil power wire on a elecamino i think you should be fine with the HEI setup. it gets a full 12v key power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just to close the loop and to provide guidance for future folks who search and find this post, i did what elky464 suggested and connected the white wire to the pink wire at the coil terminal, worked perfect! I had already completed the exact same connections he suggested for the other wires. it all works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts