El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a B&M Megashifter or Quicksilver will fit into the console of an 85? They have versions for a Camaro/Firebird console that I thought might work if I trim the insert on my console. Just curious if anyone else has tried this. Thanks!

·
1,867 Posts
I asked that same question a while back. Did not get an answer then. Maybe someone will know now.

·
Registered
481 Posts
you may want to check the forums over at www.montecarloss.com, i've seen and read a few posts about doing this. Hope that helps.

Chris

·
Registered
266 Posts
I put a Hurst shifter in a Grand Nat. console I had a few years ago. I had to do some cutting and trimming to the console body. Also I had to cut a large rectangular hole where the original slider was and used the supplied top cover that I screwed down to the original plate. Don't bother getting the Camaro/Firebird one as all that includes is a console top plate for the F-body console and they take away the top plate and housing(your gonna need that top plate in order to clean up the area you have to cut). Sorry I don't have any pics. of it as I don't have it anymore but I think you get the idea.

I used the Hurst V-Matic(if you look at it,you'll see the chrome top plate I'm talking about)as opposed to the B&M cause I think thier stuff is junky as compared to the Hurst product. But that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
How about a B&M Hammer shifter in a Grand National console?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sweet acauth1. Nice gauges, where did you get them (built into the pillar)?

Raly, I'm installing a mega in my 74, don't see a problem with modifying if necessary. I don't see why you couldn't make it work. Have you purchased it yet, if not, maybe ask the parts store or speed shop if they have had any feedback on something like this.

I have a friend that owns a trans shop, I'll ask him about installing a mega in to an 85 console, that's if he's at the shop tomorrow, maybe he'll know. Can't hurt to ask eh!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanx for the site ColdBastard.

Kiraly, I asked my friend at the trans shop, he said they used to sell installation kits at the parts stores, but it's been awhile since he's done one like that. He also believes a Camaro or Chevelle kit should work, might need some slight mods. More to come when he gets back up with me.
I'll be out of town next week, I'll let you know when I get back or sooner if possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts