El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The floor pan in my '86 was in really, really rough shape. The carpet pad is like a sponge, holds lots of water.

I cut out the worst of it.

Test shape/fit with cardboard first.

Tack welded in new pieces of steel, used a few screws, and some seam sealer.

Doesn't look perfect, but it will be out of sight under the carpet. Cost me less than $10 for the seam sealer and screws -got the sheet metal from an old hood.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
That should keep the water out, did you fix leaks,or water test? good time to do this while the carpet is out .:texas:

·
Registered
400 Posts
My floor had pin holes behind the passenger seat from long time water issues with HVAC on passenger side (and previously the windshield). As a result we cleaned up the floor and welded beads in over the pin holes. In addition the prior owner drilled holes in the bed which I have also welded. We will grind the welds, then I will probably lay a little more weld in, grind down to original shape, and then I am contemplating "leading" the welds with 70/30 lead (or perhaps the "lead-free lead that Eastwood now offers). I have attached a couple pictures of my situation and progress.

I will post some more pics as I make progress on this part of my el Camino project.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
You're doing what I'll be doing shortly! Keep us posted on your project.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
My floor had pin holes behind the passenger seat from long time water issues with HVAC on passenger side (and previously the windshield). As a result we cleaned up the floor and welded beads in over the pin holes. In addition the prior owner drilled holes in the bed which I have also welded. We will grind the welds, then I will probably lay a little more weld in, grind down to original shape, and then I am contemplating "leading" the welds with 70/30 lead (or perhaps the "lead-free lead that Eastwood now offers). I have attached a couple pictures of my situation and progress.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq87/xcookpac/floorboard_1.jpg

I will post some more pics as I make progress on this part of my el Camino project.
What are those holes with the removable covers on each side behind the seats? You can see one in your second pic.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those little covers are for water drainage. Some G bodies had them uncovered, mine (originator of this here thread) have an adhesive tar-like cover over 'em.

Pin holes can be fixed in a number of ways, or not even fixed. The large, gaping holes that your arm can fit through have to be fixed! lol :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
What are those holes with the removable covers on each side behind the seats? You can see one in your second pic.
Those two holes to the left of the removable cover were apparently put into the floor by the prior owner so that the accumulated water would drain (clearly he did not share this information with me). Before I cleaned up this area for repair/welding, the removable cover was sealed with a square adhesive pad approximately 4 inches by 8 inches. In order to remove that adhesive pad it was necessary to use a propane torch and scraper and hook tool for about 40 minutes (very sticky stuff).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those two holes to the left of the removable cover were apparently put into the floor by the prior owner so that the accumulated water would drain (clearly he did not share this information with me). Before I cleaned up this area for repair/welding, the removable cover was sealed with a square adhesive pad approximately 4 inches by 8 inches. In order to remove that adhesive pad it was necessary to use a propane torch and scraper and hook tool for about 40 minutes (very sticky stuff).
Xcook - way to jack a thread, thanks.

ALL G BODIES HAVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts