El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Year and Model: 1979 El Camino

Engine Specs and Modifications: All I know is - it's a 350 GM Goodwrench

Drivetrain Specs and Modifications: Automatic?

Suspension Specs and Modifications: ??

Exterior Specs and Modifications: ??

Interior Specs and Modifications: ??

Electrical Specs and Modifications: ??

So, I bought this car back on 2/8/12 ... I was REALLY excited to finally get my very own ELKY that I now have to admit that I was a little "trigger" happy... let me further explain...

I've been reading through a lot of threads these past three days and I WISH I had done so prior to purchasing my vehicle... When I first posted in the NEWBIE forum, I posted a picture of my "new" ride and yes, to the untrained eye this car looks nice and that green paint does turn heads!

But once I got down and dirty, to start my own restoration/modifications, I found some things that I just don't know WHAT I'm going to do!!... Long story short... I'm rusted and totally bummed about it!!!

Again I'm not only new to El Camino Central, but I'm honestly new to "working" on cars period... The most modifying I've done to a car, was add a cute little bumper tag to my 2003 Honda that I got as my first car... With that being said, I'm going to need a LOT of help from ALL you guys! I need your knowledge and opinions! PLEASE!

I'll be posting pictures of the damage to follow, please leave your comments and in put, it would be greatly appreciated!

The only thing I ask is that you DON'T tell me how the guy who sold me the car got over on me! LoL (not funny!) I already know and I'm done crying over my own mistake... I'm ready to move on... with the help of you guys I just might be able to without my tail too far between my legs...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outside damage...

Stupid previous owner, spray painted the silver trim with black bedliner!

He also painted the trim around the window, green

Front and back bumpers are GREEN

Driver's side mirror is screwed on...

Either windsheild was put in with Bondo, or that just decided to fill in where the silver trim would go with Bondo... either way it's f&!ked up!

The cowl on the hood, was mounted ON TOP of the original hood or something like that... AND it's cracking

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interior is where the problems lie...

Prior to me ripping it apart...

Dash...

Missing a/c vents and PO glued and screwed in the cup holder...
The radio is also out...and there's no a/c compresser and all that good stuff, so the a/c doesn't work either... the lighter works (I'm able to charge my phone enroute) so I hope that means that some of the wiring is good down there...

passenger side is missing window crank... I have one that I switch from drivers side to passenger side is necessary... door lock knobs are missing too (on BOTH sides)

dash board is cracked under whatever lining they lined it with...

I took off the kick panel on the passenger side... it's rusted over here

rear window trim is rusted

there's rust on the bed, and I believe it must've leaked water at some point because it's rusted underneath rear window as well

which caused these things to rust...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More interior...

under steering wheel... I don't know how I didn't notice the column cover was missing...

rusted under dash on passenger side floor

passenger side door jam

after i took the passenger seat out... this is what I found

a hole in the floor.... let me further explain
the floor pan must've been rusted out.. PO welded (?) new floor pans in place of old ones... and instead of putting brackets down for the seats... they just bolted the seats in... causing a hole in the floor... (I can see the ground!)

not sure if you can see it in this picture, but i don't even think after they welded the new pan that the smoothed and sanded it all down...

drivers side

close up

driver side door jam

bottom of door

driver side door jam bottom

rear qtr panel passenger side (driver's side looks almost the same)

I know these can be bought and replaced...right?

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
time to step up region 6!

:poke:

btw, welcome chevygirl. Watch out for weirdos from texas!

:secret:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of the rust is here...

I knew the roof or underneath was rusted because before I took out the headliner, rust would fall from under neath...so when I finally took it down this is what I found...

passenger side

center - near or above rear view

drivers side

above rear window wear dome light would go

more of the passenger side

the roof had the cardboard backing up there... it flaked off easily and was very soft... there's still some reminince(sp?) of it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The truck bed...

Now, when I talked to the guy over the phone he said that the ONLY rust on the car was a little bit in the truck bed... obviously THAT was a lie... but there is rust

truck bed rusted abover driver side tire wheel

under rear window where I'm sure there was leakage due to the damage found inside cab

PO put in new bed liner... screwed it in... sprayed it with bed liner... AND trimmed the edges of the bed liner in Bondo... WHY?! I dunno...

Okay...
OKay...
OKAY!!!

Now that you're done shaking your head, and laughing, and saying all the stuff that I already know (like that fact that I was jipped! and I basically spent $1500 on an engine and green paint!) Tell me what the FUDGE I should do first...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd like to get started on this ASAP...
I planned to go get some material to cover the 60/40 bench seat a friend was giving me out of his old El Camino and so I can put down carpet and redo the headliner... First, I need to know what I can or should do about the rusted areas... if there's anything I can do at all...

This is not going to be a show car, but my own personal car. I guess what I'm trying to say is... I plan on keeping this car and putting in the work necessary... I just need to know what I can do

·
Registered
40 Posts
I Love your attitude, that will take you a long way. Im sure you will have it up and in shape faster than you think. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
You asked,i remember my first El camino wayyyyyyy back in high school,it was rusted out but i didn't care,when i would do a burn out the smoke would fill the cab,and rust and junk would fall from under the truck ,Oh the good old days!,with that being said,i didn't have a cool group of people like this to help me out, if you are wanting to keep this El camino,the first thing ,and i think you can see by the pictures,is the ex steam rust,iam concerned also about the amount of rust at the roof line and A pillar,as this is a Major support area, you need to stop the rust that has started,with a rust killer,could be a brush on /spray on/go to a place that sells automotive paint,and talk with them,
you are going to get a lot of opinions from a bunch of people here(Friends that want to help you make a informed choice on your repairs) OK every one, time to get started! :beer::texas:NO TEXAS jokes ! Guys.:poke:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Here's something you don't want to hear...but forget about that car. Elkies are cheap enough! Find a solid one for anywhere from $2-$3000 and you'll come out way cheaper in the end. You'll never stop that rust w/o replacing just about everything. And as was mentioned above the structural integrity is beyond compromised. Even in a minor accident that thing would crumble and you or a passenger could be seriously injured. The doors might even pop open in an accident.
Now, how long ago did you buy it? You may have some legal recourse. Did the previous owner sell it as a "parts car"? If not, contact a lawyer and show him the pictures.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you but I think your car is beyod reasonable repair. I`m not saying it can`t be done, but it will cost more than car can ever be worth ! I would save it for a parts car & look for one with a lot less rust. At least now you have a good idea of where to look for problems
Dave B.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
nice car except for the rust. what i would do is find a nice body and transfer all that is good to the new body. when a pos hit and run driver tore up my 86 i found a rolling rear body for 800$.you will spend that and more trying to fix your current body and it will never be right.the roof and cowl pillars are the main support to the body.as a father i will tell you something you dont want to hear,that car is not safe for you to drive in its current condition.there are a lot of parting out bodies and failed project bodies out there pretty cheap.just will take a lot of work but you will be miles ahead in the endand have a solid car to be proud of

·
Registered
342 Posts
^X2 on finding a new body
Okay...
OKay...
OKAY!!!

Now that you're done shaking your head, and laughing, and saying all the stuff that I already know (like that fact that I was jipped! and I basically spent $1500 on an engine and green paint!) Tell me what the FUDGE I should do first...
No laughing here, I can't believe some P.O.S. actually sold a car like that!
Whichever route you go, you're going to learn a lot, fast!
Good luck on your project, and stay tuned...there are plenty of people around here that can help you out.

·
Site Contributor Participating Member
561 Posts
Way too much rust - in a lot of really bad places :(
Whoever patched,hid, and put band-aids over all that rust damage deserves a place in the Douchebaggery hall of fame.

I like your positive "can do" attitude - but I agree that looking for another body shell would be your best bet.

And welcome to the forum :smileyb:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts