El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the planning phase of replacing my floor pans. The whole floor needs to replaced. When looking at parts, it appears the replacement floor pans have are flat on the left and right side. As in they don’t go up and over the rocker panel. This is all well and good if you have good metal to leave a lip on the old floor then weld the new one in, but I don’t have good metal. See pics.

Any ideas on how to attach the new floor pan, or replacement metal for over the rocker?

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Wow. Looks like someone already attempted a repair and didn't have a welder either. I haven't seen the floor to rocker area of my car but it looks like the floor sits on top of the inner rocker and was spot welded there. I tried to search for inner rockers for a G body, but google is quite retarded when doing that and I got results for things like 58 fords.?? I can see some fabrication in your near future. Unless you can find some replacement inners. Looks like a cut-trim-fit-weld project from these pics. Luckily, your older posts say that the floor is really your only rust problem and the frame is still solid. Good luck and keep us posted how it's goin!

Joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the floor will be one of, if not the most, major project of the whole restoration. And I kind of have to jump right into it early on. I have a few rust holes here in there on the door bottoms that will need patch panels, and a few good size holes in the bed as well, but as best as I can tell so far the frame is solid, just surface rust.

I’m coming up short on finding inner rockets. It appears the standard g body inner rockers specifically say will not for el Camino, so must be some difference.

yes, unfortunately, looks like I will have to have them fabricated. I think that’s outside my capability. I’m fine with welding but have never done any type of firming, nor do I have the tools to do so.

open to any ideas! This is a major hiccup in the project.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just found some inner rockers from dixie restoration.

On a couple other websites I’ve seen them for 78-88 G body but specifically excludes el Camino. These do not say that, but same good mark part #. I think I’m going to give them a try, perhaps they can be modified to fit? I’d rather have to do some light fabricating than build them from scratch!

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Just found some inner rockers from dixie restoration.

On a couple other websites I’ve seen them for 78-88 G body but specifically excludes el Camino. These do not say that, but same good mark part #. I think I’m going to give them a try, perhaps they can be modified to fit? I’d rather have to do some light fabricating than build them from scratch!
Probably gonna be too long since they are for vehicles with a back seat. Good part is too long is way better than too short. There will probably be a difference at the area where they blend in at the rear but having the correct shape in the front will be half the battle. Also the rear should at least work with some modifying, that and you should have some extra to work with. Let us know how it looks when they show up. Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably gonna be too long since they are for vehicles with a back seat. Good part is too long is way better than too short. There will probably be a difference at the area where they blend in at the rear but having the correct shape in the front will be half the battle. Also the rear should at least work with some modifying, that and you should have some extra to work with. Let us know how it looks when they show up. Good luck!

Joe
I don’t care if it doesn’t look perfect, going to be covered with carpet after all Just has to be solid!

Parts are ordered, have been told 2-3 weeks for delivery. Supposed to get a call early next week to confirm shipping estimate.

It has been a while since I’ve welded. Went by harbor freight this morning and bought a new auto-dimming hood, gloves, apron, some welding pliers and clamps. Then told my wife it’d be a shame to have such nice new gear and such a cruddy old welder. I haven’t even turned it on in a couple years so it may not even work? She rolled her eyes and said I better fix her car right so I left with one of those new little green titanium 125 wire feed units. They have great reviews.

Picked up a bunch of grinding discs, cut off wheels and wire brush wheels and told the wife I have a lot of grinding to do on “her” car so I should probably get a new grinder and she agreed so a nice Bauer unit went in the cart too.

On the way out the door I told my wife that security is an issue in the open ended barn the car is in and I should go pick up the Kimber 1911 I’ve been eying to be sure I can keep “her” car safe. She said something about grinding and welding the pistol to a certain area of my body... but hey, I tried!

kind of at a standstill until parts arrive. Don’t want to move into anything else till floor is done. Break time!

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Time to put the bullets in the safe.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I don’t care if it doesn’t look perfect, going to be covered with carpet after all Just has to be solid!

Parts are ordered, have been told 2-3 weeks for delivery. Supposed to get a call early next week to confirm shipping estimate.

It has been a while since I’ve welded. Went by harbor freight this morning and bought a new auto-dimming hood, gloves, apron, some welding pliers and clamps. Then told my wife it’d be a shame to have such nice new gear and such a cruddy old welder. I haven’t even turned it on in a couple years so it may not even work? She rolled her eyes and said I better fix her car right so I left with one of those new little green titanium 125 wire feed units. They have great reviews.

Picked up a bunch of grinding discs, cut off wheels and wire brush wheels and told the wife I have a lot of grinding to do on “her” car so I should probably get a new grinder and she agreed so a nice Bauer unit went in the cart too.

On the way out the door I told my wife that security is an issue in the open ended barn the car is in and I should go pick up the Kimber 1911 I’ve been eying to be sure I can keep “her” car safe. She said something about grinding and welding the pistol to a certain area of my body... but hey, I tried!

kind of at a standstill until parts arrive. Don’t want to move into anything else till floor is done. Break time!
Security should be job 1 (not) 911 Get it? Stay safe my friend.

Joe

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Biggest tip I can offer is to be sure you cut back the old floor to good solid metal before cutting new floor pan to fit and weld. Also don't cheat. If you have a rusty edge and grind it clean to weld you are thinning the metal and blow thru with the welder is all but guaranteed. Remember also the floor has two sides, just because it looks OK from the inside does not mean the underside is clean and suitable for welding. Like paintwork, prep is everything. I wish you well on your project. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
279 Posts
The sheet metal is pretty easy to burn through on these cars. Can't say that I would personally use a flux core welder on any of my cars being that they tend to splatter molten metal near the weld joint but to each their own. I bought a used Lincoln Electric gas MIG welder a few years ago for not that much more than that green welder you got and the difference between that and a flux core is night and day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Biggest tip I can offer is to be sure you cut back the old floor to good solid metal before cutting new floor pan to fit and weld. Also don't cheat. If you have a rusty edge and grind it clean to weld you are thinning the metal and blow thru with the welder is all but guaranteed. Remember also the floor has two sides, just because it looks OK from the inside does not mean the underside is clean and suitable for welding. Like paintwork, prep is everything. I wish you well on your project. Keep us posted!
unfortunately I have no good metal in the floor area! The car sat outside for a couple years with a major leak from the windshield seal so the carpet stayed wet and the floor, braces and seat mounts are just gone. I’m going to have to replace everything starting at the inner rockers. The tunnel is about the only thing that seems solid. I ordered a 1 piece full pan but will likely cut it in half to install. How else would you get the full pan in without taking out the back of the car? Really don’t want to get into all that...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It needs to come out since it's leaking that bad anyway!

Joe
true, but was hoping to put that off for a bit. It’s under cover now so leaking is a non issue. The floor project will probably run me close to $2K so don’t really want to get into anything else at the same time.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
"On the way out the door I told my wife that security is an issue in the open ended barn the car is in and I should go pick up the Colt 1911 I’ve been eying to be sure I can keep “her” car safe. She said something about grinding and welding the pistol to a certain area of my body... but hey, I tried!"
I fixed your post for you

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"On the way out the door I told my wife that security is an issue in the open ended barn the car is in and I should go pick up the Colt 1911 I’ve been eying to be sure I can keep “her” car safe. She said something about grinding and welding the pistol to a certain area of my body... but hey, I tried!"
I fixed your post for you
it wasn’t broken.
I have a few Colt’s.
I keep them in my Ford’s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts