El Camino Central Forum banner

Floor pan replacement

14K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Keyser Sose 
#1 ·
I have to replace my floor pans in my 73 SS. I have been quoted $800-1000 for the labor from some recommended mechanics.
Is there a less expensive way to do this?
I have no equipment to do this myself.
Does anyone make a one piece floor pan instead of the 2 piece floor pans I see online?
Are there any tips to make this go as quickly as possible?
Thanks guys.

#4 ·
How bad are the floorpans, if they aren't totally it would be easier to do them in smaller sections.Here is an article on it .
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/42644_reproduction_floorpans_install/index.html There is another article in Rod & Custom Febuary 2011 on sale on the stands now and is a little easier for the beginner.I personally prefer to butt weld them in place rather than the flange type installation but done right it's almost impossible to tell that any works been done unless you take the interior apart.
If most of the sheetmetal is still good doing smaller sections is really all thats necessary.On the flanged areas use weld thru primer before welding and then paint and seal everything on the underside paint and use undercoat to preserve the work.

#8 ·
The floor pans both front and rear sections are terrible. I am worried about the seats falling through the floor while driving it. The only thing keeping out the elements is the carpet. even the seat swivel frame on the drivers side is shot to s$#t. The best deal I found for a set of floor pan sections is $389.00 and a grand to have them installed by someone with the proper equipment to do it right. This sucks:frown2:

#10 ·
Erik did you watch the youtube video in my previous post?That is most likely the type floor replacement your Elco will need and while I know as you said you don't have the tools to do this work it gives you an idea of what is involved, then you can judge as to whether or not the price is worth it for you.
Do you know the people that quoted you the price, if you do not, before you tell anyone to do it, try to go in when they are doing a panel section replacement and see for yourself the quality of their work because anyone can use 20lbs of bondo and thats not the kind of work you want.On a floorpan I want a repair that uses little or no bondo and is almost impossible to tell it has been done afterall your paying good money for a good job.
You might try what the Low Riders do get together with some of your fellow auto enthusiasts and form a small group that gets together and trades labor and make it a family thing.

#11 ·
That floor sounds like it has had quite a bit of water laying in the carpet over the years. Check out where there may be leaks, like the rear window, and on a 4th gen like yours, water can get in through the rear panel under the back window, down by the floor. Removing the panel on the front of the bed floor will give access to re-seal the back of the cab, where the seams are, down in the lower part of that cavity.

#12 ·
The rear window had some bad leaks, but they were fixed when the bodywork was being done. I didn't know about the rear panel, but when the y did the bodywork they sealed the whole bed area with spray in truck bed liner. so I hope the external leaks are now a thing of the past. That video was very informative. I will be observing the repairs on the spot. I need to have it done right. While it is being done, I am going to have the driver seat mounting moved to the rear about 4 inches to give me some belly room. :smileyb:

#13 ·
I would have to offer here that there is a LOT of ways to enjoy this hobby. One of which is the new skills that can be developed. Go buy the pans, a side grinder and a small wire feed welder ($300???) go ahead and try the welding yourself. At least here there is nothing life threatening if the weld is not perfect. The welder will serve you for years to come and you can work your way up to more important areas as your skill grows. You can even become in demand to your pals! Can't recommend this enough!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.