El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to show that anybody can work on their floors. I must admit that I was very intimidated and a little discouraged when I pulled the carpet out of my very first project car. What I found was not pretty. But I just figured I would go for it. I borrowed a welder from a neighbor and after some practice I ended up getting the new pans in. Not pretty by any stretch of the imagination but a whole lot better than the way I found it. So a word of encouragement to all of us DIY guys on a budget, "Go for it! It is not as difficult as it seems."
Oh and I did this all in my driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks good! I likely have the same rust under my carpet, I'm afraid to look. I noticed that water collects there when you have a bad door seal (where the seal on the actual door meets the top of the door). Water crawls down the drip rail, and then goes right into the door near the top, runs out the bottom of the door, and onto the rear floorpans.
Did you buy new pans or cut them out of a junkyard car?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good! I likely have the same rust under my carpet, I'm afraid to look. I noticed that water collects there when you have a bad door seal (where the seal on the actual door meets the top of the door). Water crawls down the drip rail, and then goes right into the door near the top, runs out the bottom of the door, and onto the rear floorpans.
Did you buy new pans or cut them out of a junkyard car?
Thank you Curtis and Dallas. I did have bad door seals. I took out the quarter windows and all the seals around them out. I did some rust repair, bought new felts for all the windows to include the quarter windows and new roof and door seals. That was the most expensive part of the project so far. :-(
But it needed to be done. No more water inside this ole car :)
I bought a pan from Ebaymotors. I actually bought one for both rear pans but ended up not needing a full pan on either so I was able to do it with a 45.00

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice Job i have to remove my floor panels too.But i do not build in sound deadener pads because i am frightened that water can run between floor and the pads than i have a rusted floor again.I only take a factory quality carpet than i can look under it from time to time.I am going to close the smugglers box forever so that no water can appear to the cabin!Wanna build in some tubes for rainwater that falls on the bed.

Daniel

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice Job i have to remove my floor panels too.But i do not build in sound deadener pads because i am frightened that water can run between floor and the pads than i have a rusted floor again.I only take a factory quality carpet than i can look under it from time to time.I am going to close the smugglers box forever so that no water can appear to the cabin!Wanna build in some tubes for rainwater that falls on the bed.

Daniel
I want the extra heat and sound because I am going to go to headers and want to minimize the drone. I plan on never having water in the cab ever again. :) It is going to be a nice weather car. I took out the AC and therefore the heater as well so it kind of has to be.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What product did you use to paint it?
well I used POR15 first. Then for good measure and the fact that I heard that rubber type of paint reduced the empty metal sound I coated it with that. It may have been overkill but oh well. for an additional 20.00 I think it was worth it. If water gets under all that again then I guess I should not be running my car in the lake. :). My next step is to do the exact same thing under the body. I did it under the bed already.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good job! :bigups: Supposedly those are the foot wells for the passengers in the back seat of the station wagon! Anybody? :dontknow:
I think those are foot wells for another kind of G body car. Monte Carlo maybe? I know that the bench seat I have was for another type of car as well because there are ashtrays in the back of the seats and unless you are a very small person we all know that you wont be riding in the back of an elco.:poke:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.