El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone install a after market floor shifter for a 700r
84 el camino? how difficult and what brand?

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
I have a Mega in my C10truck just cause its taller,
but its more of a full ratchet shifter, it will do park to drive to park..
the QS will go from park to drive or drive to reverse,
its kinda a detent and full ratchet shifter, IIRC its been a long while
I think it would go from neutral to park without having to go to drive first
like the Mega...
I get cornfused cause my buddy had a Star shifter and it was different too..
go to Utube find a movie and check'um out..

·
Registered
27 Posts
has anyone install a after market floor shifter for a 700r
84 el camino? how difficult and what brand?
I went with a B&M Megashifter after trying unsuccessfully to get the 700R4 to work with the factory column shifter. It seems I could never get it to go all the way into park or into low-1 no matter how I adjusted it. Either one would work or the other but I could never get it to do both every time.
The Megashifter is a racing-oriented cable-operated ratchet-shifter. After getting the TV-cable from the throttle to the transmission set up properly I pretty much never use the ratchet-action. I just leave it in drive when I want to go forward. It shifts pretty much when it needs to all by itself. It came with different sets of numbers to use with 2, 3, or 4 speed automatics, which was nice.
My only regret about the Megashifter is the chrome housing. It looks cool but can reflect the sun into my eyes at certain times of the day and that gets annoying.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
has anyone tried LOKAR shifter?
I looked into that one but decided against it since I really wanted a floor shift. It really looks like a good set-up but I decided I didn't want to spend money on something temporary. I rigged an old B&M cable to get by knowing it was temporary, I could feel the detents on the trans enough to know what gear I was in. The indicator was already gone because of the Dakota Digital dash.

If you're happy without a floor shifter, I honestly wouldn't hesitate to go with the Lokar...... If I wasn't so determined to have my shifter on the floor! Hope you are happy with whatever way you go!

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked into that one but decided against it since I really wanted a floor shift. It really looks like a good set-up but I decided I didn't want to spend money on something temporary. I rigged an old B&M cable to get by knowing it was temporary, I could feel the detents on the trans enough to know what gear I was in. The indicator was already gone because of the Dakota Digital dash.

If you're happy without a floor shifter, I honestly wouldn't hesitate to go with the Lokar...... If I wasn't so determined to have my shifter on the floor! Hope you are happy with whatever way you go!

Joe
thanks joe lokar fm700bm is a floor shifter without a box cover only a boot. one reason i was thinking of lokar is because of limited space between the seat and dash.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
thanks joe lokar fm700bm is a floor shifter without a box cover only a boot. one reason i was thinking of lokar is because of limited space between the seat and dash.
Ok, sorry, I thought you were talking about the column shift adapter from Lokar, I forgot the title of this thread. If I remember right I passed on the floor shift model because it didn't lock into park and could accidentally be knocked out of park. It's just me driving and no young kids around so it probably wouldn't be an issue, and the parking brake is always good. I just like the extra secure feeling having it lock. That's just me though.

Joe

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
if ya still cant get the room for the QuickSilver shifter
i'd just leave the plastic base and top off, and get a 4spd shifter boot
some are quite large, to fit over the whole shifter..
maybe a different shift handle ?? got a pic ??
or the bucket seat/console idea works real good..
link> Large Boot pic

I haven't seen a Lokar that was anything close to a B&M as far as function,
no ratchet function or lock-out.. not made for actually shifting at speed,
and there the same basic price..

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
if ya still cant get the room for the QuickSilver shifter
i'd just leave the plastic base and top off, and get a 4spd shifter boot
some are quite large, to fit over the whole shifter..
maybe a different shift handle ?? got a pic ??
or the bucket seat/console idea works real good..
link> Large Boot pic

I haven't seen a Lokar that was anything close to a B&M as far as function,
no ratchet function or lock-out.. not made for actually shifting at speed,
and there the same basic price..
I'm 5'9" and the seat is pulled up tight and even the Megashifter housing has enough room for me. I haven't even hooked up the shift indicator yet, I shift it by feel since I don't want to run wires yet. I'll get to that when I'm swapping carpet and such later on down the line!
WIN_20200323_18_06_12_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the large boot suggestion and the picture of the mega shifter. i must have measured wrong looks like theres enough room for the housing.

thanks again

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm 5'9" and the seat is pulled up tight and even the Megashifter housing has enough room for me. I haven't even hooked up the shift indicator yet, I shift it by feel since I don't want to run wires yet. I'll get to that when I'm swapping carpet and such later on down the line!
View attachment 128880
How hard was the installation?
And cost?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
thanks for the large boot suggestion and the picture of the mega shifter. i must have measured wrong looks like theres enough room for the housing.

thanks again
There's almost always a work-around! Good luck!

Joe

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
How hard was the installation?
And cost?? Thanks
Pretty straight forward and easy enough. Drill a few holes, maybe enlarge the cable hole if you missed by a bit, and some fairly easy connections at the trans then adjustment checks and after that the biggest problem is trimming the console housing to fit the floor.

Cost? Take a cruise through the Summit catalog and after the sticker shock wears off you can decide which one you would like. Best part is, and I'm sure the ones that have gone with the B&M shifters will attest to, is we would buy another one if we were to be starting over with another project.

Joe

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pretty straight forward and easy enough. Drill a few holes, maybe enlarge the cable hole if you missed by a bit, and some fairly easy connections at the trans then adjustment checks and after that the biggest problem is trimming the console housing to fit the floor.

Cost? Take a cruise through the Summit catalog and after the sticker shock wears off you can decide which one you would like. Best part is, and I'm sure the ones that have gone with the B&M shifters will attest to, is we would buy another one if we were to be starting over with another project.

Joe
I have a column shift and want a floor shifter. I really want a factory floor shifter but having a hard time finding one .

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I have a column shift and want a floor shifter. I really want a factory floor shifter but having a hard time finding one .
I know the problem, gave up after looking at a few used ones, pretty much junk or just worn out. I was determined that the shifter would be on the floor. I really wanted a six speed manual but gave in to the ease of the auto. If I ever get this car close to finished and I have the trans out again I will give in to my original urge. Other than that, I will mention again that the B&M has made me happy and with the ratchet shift action, at least I feel I have more control over the shifts! That and it's just fun!

Joe

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know the problem, gave up after looking at a few used ones, pretty much junk or just worn out. I was determined that the shifter would be on the floor. I really wanted a six speed manual but gave in to the ease of the auto. If I ever get this car close to finished and I have the trans out again I will give in to my original urge. Other than that, I will mention again that the B&M has made me happy and with the ratchet shift action, at least I feel I have more control over the shifts! That and it's just fun!

Joe
You have a ls swap?!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts