El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1982 El Camino floor vents continuously open!
Does anyone know how to close them?
Can I do it from inside or do I have to do it under the hood?
Please tell me I don't have to remove dash!
Thanks
Rick

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
1,150 Posts
Really? Off should be off. When the selector functions properly in the Off position all functions hault. You may want to consult your shop manual to verify that.

For RAG, do the other functions of your HVAC operate properly? In the Vent mode do you get air & does the defrost mode operate?
If not, you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The most likely culprit is behind the HVAC controller (removal & repair doesn't require removing the dash)

·
Registered
1987 El Camino
49 Posts
1982 El Camino floor vents continuously open!
Does anyone know how to close them?
Can I do it from inside or do I have to do it under the hood?
Please tell me I don't have to remove dash!
Thanks
Rick
I started trouble shooting my '87 this summer. I couldn't select anything, it was always just the floor vent. I checked each actuator with a pump and they worked so I spent stupid $ on the 9-port controller. After installing I realized that I never checked for vacuum coming in, which it wasn't. Tracing under the hood I found a crushed plastic line around the backside of my distributor. I cut out the back and replaced with silicone turbo hose.

I can now get my vent and defrost to work, but I still think my floor vent is on full. VinnyD and acauth1 both shared a version of the attached which I'll use to keep exploring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Since you can feel airflow at the floor vents when you're controls are set for defrost, the problem is most likely related to the seals on the doors/diverters inside your AC box. There are two main doors in the AC box that control fresh air inlet or re-circulation of cabin air and selection of defroster or floor vent. These seals are made of rubber and deteriorate with age. The AC box may be due to a complete rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts