El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a ffew questions. found a cheap deal on craigslist for a pair of super 44's.

well i had my mind set on 40's but can some one please tell me and answer my questions

1.) Which is louder?

2.) Which sounds meaner?

3.) which has the best sound at idle?

4.) which has a louder idle?

5.) which will emphasize a mild cam lope?

6.) which sounds better at higher rpms.

please no videos from flowmaster.com. heard em' all. each car sounds different

Got Dual glasspacks, and i love loud but glasspacks are just loud. for a daily driver they can get boring

thanks guys:beer:

Brandon

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
44's are way louder, I'm much happier with my 40's

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
44's are very loud, imo. 40's have a nice rumble. Google it and you can hear the difference yourself. If you have good computer speakers you can tell a huge difference between the two.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang quick response!

Well maybe you guys can decide for me then.

i got a nice lope sounds like a quiet harley in idle. notice how i said QUIET in IDLE. yeah its quiet under 1,000 rpm.

i want something to emphasize my lope and raise my idle sound, and scare people when i hit the gas.

my current set up is a good flow 2.5" dual pipes to the back.

Ideas? thats what im trying to decide

thanks

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If you want to scare someone when you gas it, get 44's, but don't say I didn't warn you. They are loud. 44's do sound good at idle.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I run 40's. Much smoother rumble than the 44's.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anybody got personal videos?

I like loud idle, loud if you step on it. i like the traditional popcorn sound in idle

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what i like about the 40's.

but i dont have as big of a cam and i dont have long tube headers

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,683 Posts
Try and get a listen to a set of DELTA 40's they are different then the 40's, I have had 40's on e several ELKY's and i like the Delta 40 a lot better I am running them on a 454HO GM perf. crate, if you want a different cleaner sound inside the car use the Delta's. The 44's are just a hollow noise maker.

·
0 Posts
Go with 44's if you wanna sound like a raging bat out of hell but be warned,they're not an easy sound to ignore once they get broken in and the drone is very loud. I'm happy with my 40's since it gives the nice rumble I want but at wide open throttle,its waking up Baby Jesus!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have 44's and I'm really cool because of it. I will post a video as soon as I finish putting my new motor in. It will be in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Lets put it this way: I was in a car show here in my town just last month, and my elco was pretty much the grungiest vehicle there, but people were still diggin' it. There were full out big block drag-cars right next to me, that would periodically start their motors and rev them just to show off. I would do the same with my little 283 with long-tube headers and SUPER 44'S and rev it up past 6000 rpm and humble the big-blocks. (the guy with the GTO next to me even comented "you have flowmasters on that thing, don't you?") thats how distinctive they are. At idle, i have such a deep rumble that it effects your voice in the cab as if you were talking into a fan. Its not hollow or "tinny" at all. The super 44's make your motor sound deeper with more bass than the 40's. Two of my brother in laws have each a 67 chevelle with a 327, and a 69 camaro with a 327, both have 40's and both sound pretty mellow compared to my 283. I had a 1979 ford f-250 with a 351 clevland motor in it, long tube headers, with a big 3.5" dynomax muffler(i know i'm now comparing apples and oranges here, but its just an example) and my little 283 currently in my '65 elco with super 44's sounds louder, deeper, and meaner than my big ford.

But thats just my bias'd opinion....44's all the way!

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Here's what a single 40 sounds on my stock 350 i like the sound but it's not loud with a cat. in between.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Go on youtube and search for each with your specific engine... most combinations are out there and will give you a good sense of the difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Throw in some 1.6 : 1 rockers, make it sound a lot more thumpy and it will give you s few horses as long as your heads can handle the push rod angle, and its only like 35 bucks from comp cams to buy a tool to open up the pushrod holes. I have 44s and I love them they have more of a tin sound to them at idle if you really want to scare people grab a pair of electronic exhaust cutouts, open headers on demand! Lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
823 Posts
I love my 3" super 44s... loud and nasty with a .612 lift cam :dontknow:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Go to general bs topics and search for jmchevy trying out different flowmaster mufflers.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
man i went with 44's this round with shorty headers,2.5 straight back and downturned them directly after the flows and i HATE the sound!!! the drone is terrible!!! going to be swapping them out for what i usually run on my g's(40's)anyone wanna trade/mine are brand new with about 60 hours/40 miles on them.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,683 Posts
Delta 40's much better on the interior drone give them a listen on Flowmaster site.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had forty's on my 85 with a 454. They were so loud that I took them off and gave them away. I couldn't stand the noise inside the car. I also have a fifty mercury that has 44's on it but I haven't started the engine yet and I intend to sound proof the inside before I have the interior done. I have dynomax VT on the el camino now, and it is still loud, but it does not have the drone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts