El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased and installed the flowmaster kit from opgi or similar? its available from either header back or cat back and should include all the pieces and just bolt right on.

trying to decide if its worth it and if it fits well/looks good once its actually on. Thanks.

here is what i'm referring to:
http://www.opgi.com/p/exhaust/24944/119/FM817456.html

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
worth it from the headers back...get rid of that cat...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Remember that the el camino has a longer wheelbase than the other g body cars, so you need an exhaust system specifically for an el camino, one for a monte carlo or malibu will be too short.

·
0 Posts
Why not just run you own exhaust? Its a bit easier than buying a kit. What part of Tx are you in? If you're around the Dallas area,I could hook you up with a guy who can do it for around 200 with Flowmasters included.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rnhart3 -will that pass inspection on a '78?

mikeselco i'll make sure its el camino specific, thanks for the heads up

steelbeast- college station, a little far from Dallas, it'd be a good trek

·
Registered
195 Posts
Whatever you do definitely don't buy it from OPGI. The same Flowmaster kit is $40–50 cheaper from Amazon or Streetsideauto, free shipping, no tax and no "handling" fees. You can usually find a $20–40 off coupon code for Streetside on top of that too…

I've been shopping out a bigger dual exhaust for my 71 here in CA and i haven't been able to find any exhaust places that can do stainless steel setup with mandrel bends for the cost of a prefab.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lilbaggie- haven't looked either of those places, i'll get on it, thanks!

·
0 Posts
rnhart3 -will that pass inspection on a '78?

mikeselco i'll make sure its el camino specific, thanks for the heads up

steelbeast- college station, a little far from Dallas, it'd be a good trek
Here in Tx,you only have to pass safety. Blinkers,brakes,brake lights,headlights,horn,seatbelts and windows. The cat can be removed as well. Too bad you're far away,my buddy could do your exhaust at his shop.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am in Austin and any vehicle in Texas that is over 25 years old does not have to have emissions tested to pass inspection. However, if the vehicle originally had a catalytic converter as factory-installed equipment, it can fail inspection if the inspector is a stickler about the rules.

Find a good ol' boy to inspect it and you 'll be fine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 'quicker sticker' here isn't know for being stringent. looks like that cat may go missing :secret:

steelbeast- if i make my way out there soon i may be looking you up for that shop

·
Registered
572 Posts
You guys have it tough,in regards to inspections...Here in Queensland,AUST...we just pay our registration,and insurance,when it arrives in the mail every year...no safety check,emission testing at all,but if we happen to get pulled up by the police for some reason,we get a fine for every defect...can be costly,if you dont maintain your vehicle !!

·
0 Posts
the 'quicker sticker' here isn't know for being stringent. looks like that cat may go missing :secret:

steelbeast- if i make my way out there soon i may be looking you up for that shop
No problem. Just PM me when if you wanna take the trip up here.:beer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts