El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1981 that I thought had a 305 in it. Come to find out it has a V6. I think I'll run with it in for now but want to go to a dual Flowmaster exhaust. What setup should I do with the six that will be compatable with the V8 when I get to it? 8)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I purchased an 86 Caviler Z24 with a 2.8L V6 and 4 speed, new off the showroom floor. When I first looked at it I was not real impressed the body seemed to bring up images of its big brother the Camaro. Anyway... I test drove it. When I put the key in the ignition and turned that little car on and that fully electronic dash lit up with all the gages displaying and the little 2.8L sounded pretty tough, for a 6 banger.

My wife and I test drove that little car and found it to be one of the most exciting cars we had sat in. It never made it back on the show room floor! I liked that little 6 banger. 0-60 in 8 second don't sound like much but it would really do it for me. It was a moderately rare Caviler Z24 Hatchback 2 door. I think ours was one of like 4 total in the D/FW area.

BTW I sold it at 180,000 Mi. I bought it back and still own it today with over 295,000 on the Odometer she still runs.
You never know you miight just like that little 6.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I'm kinda thinking that after I drove it today.

I have the car parked behind the lot that I work at and took it for a cruise at lunch time. It does'nt spin the wheels yet though and it needs a little more bark. I know the Flowmasters will give it some sound and hopefully a little more power.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have flowmasters on my Elkys matter of fact I have the whole flowmaster system on them both. I like the sound they produce, some don't. Actually from what I've read Borla makes the best as far as eeking out more power and some have said that they like the sound of those a lot better.

I don't think adding a new mufflet to the little 6 will give you any more horse power. I could be wrong. Cam, new better flowing heads, better intake those things will give a bit more boost, or a V8.

Now a good 383 will give you something to get really excited about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts