El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I start the motor pull to find out whats happened inside my 454. I have to borrow a puller and a stand so today my goal is to get everything ready to pull motor and tranny!!
Pics to follow
Donny

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea if you lived close enough you could bet I'd already have drafted you!!!:poke:
I'll get it, just takes time!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you start with this

And you jack it up like this

And you pull out all of this,

And you end up with this!!!

If I had the hoist it would be out right now, and I'll have you know I did this by myself on the side of the street!!!!
All's thats holding it is the motor mounts. Motor and tranny coming out at the same time!!!
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I'd pull the pulleys, brackets, and water pump before pulling the engine. :poke:

Hey Donny, once you get the engine out, be sure and shut the hood all the way when you put it back on. Otherwise the wind could catch it, it could fly open, and break your windshield. :eek2:

hey, it's been know to happen!

:rolleyes2:

I'm glad I live so far away so I don't have to help!

·
0 Posts
Hey Donny,looks like you're working on your day off! Looks good bro! I also noticed you taped up the intake like most forget,including me...lol
Keep it up!:beer:

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who cares to guess at the damage I will find. The heads were just reworked within the last 6 months. The previous owner had been running NOS. I don't know how much of a shot nor how much it was ran. The oil was black (not milky) and antifreeze clear. It would fire and run but rod was knocking badly. No damage to outside of block or oil pan and no metal showing on stick.
So what’s your guess? I'll get in there and find just a bad rod and bearing, block ruined??? :dontknow:
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Ddd id say your honna find #1/2 rod bearings trashed and at least one burned piston ask me how i know. Cheers:secret:

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
My guess - you will find # 1, 2, or 3 rod bearing and journal bad. #1 is the last to get oil - furthest from the pump. I also predict you will find that all the upper bearing halves just fall out of the rods from being overloaded and the bottom end of the rods deformed and will require being re-sized.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
OK my guess ,is the block is fine,:beer:and that number 4 or 8 brgs,spun or rod bolts not tight
will need a crank kit and maybe 2 rods,pistons are fine ,is that a good guess for you !
:beer: oh and a loose nut behind the wheel not sure you can fix that :poke::poke:

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK my guess ,is the block is fine,:beer:and that number 4 or 8 brgs,spun or rod bolts not tight
will need a crank kit and maybe 2 rods,pistons are fine ,is that a good guess for you !
:beer: oh and a loose nut behind the wheel not sure you can fix that :poke::poke:
Your guess sounds like the cheapest to fix:nanawrench:
(Maybe that wasn't a rod knocking I heard, maybe it was just Roy trying hard to think!!!!):poke:
Good guesses everyone, we should know by tomorrow night:dontknow:
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
spun bearing on # 5 or 6 at the crank. crank prolly turnable if it's stock size now, prolly have to replace 1 or 2 rods.

should have all the rods resized and if you need to turn the crank, turn all of it, not just 1 or 2 journals. change out all the rod bolts and main cap bolts for ARP sets, be sure and have bottom end balanced. either replace the oil pump or take it apart and make sure there's no shavings inside it

if you're going in to fix it, FIX IT!

(you got a good enough deal on it you can afford to)

:poke: :texas:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Tripple D,

I just met you, and this is crazy,
But maybe you can just pack it up
and mail me maybe?

:poke:

LoL I couldn't resist. but seriously your that deep into it... why not just gut it bore it polish it paint it brand it, run it. just make it yours!

P.S. like a good dog i'll sit under the table and wait for the table scraps :p

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
# 7 & 8 rod bearings slightly spun and egg shaped,, mains discolored but not spun,,yet,,, and for whats it`s worth,, us yankees would have had it out, repaired, reinstalled ran and its knockin` again so it has to come out again:poke::beer:matty man

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
not all of us matty! I had to take a break after just
reading your post!

:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
on a juiced motor i would bet on either the top of the piston done or the upper bearings done.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts