El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been tossing around the idea of going forced induction. Does anyone know if they make a supercharger kit for a 4.3L EFI? ive been searching but everything i find wants me carbureted. I kinda like the ease of EFI. if i go do something carbed, im just gonna swap the motor.

but i think it would be cool to have a supercharged 4.3, i just dont wanna have to modify half of everything under my hood

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ive been tossing around the idea of going forced induction. Does anyone know if they make a supercharger kit for a 4.3L EFI? ive been searching but everything i find wants me carbureted. I kinda like the ease of EFI. if i go do something carbed, im just gonna swap the motor.

but i think it would be cool to have a supercharged 4.3, i just dont wanna have to modify half of everything under my hood
I'm assuming you're talking about a blow-thru set?

It's the same idea as a carb, but its EFI. I don't know enough about 4.3L EFI, but I would be more curious to know if that stock EFI system could be modified enough to flow the amount of fuel required to handle 6-10 psi boost?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Whether it's a front mount centrifugal supercharger or a turbo, it can be done universal style (you make it fit).
As far as the tbi style efi, you may need larger injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator,possibly better fuel pump & or a fuel pump booster box., & preferably a dyno shop to do the computer tuning. There are many different options to enhance a fuel injection system to handle more power& properly tune it. Many companies offer a mail order tune for known combinations.
All is possible, but very questionable if it's worth the trouble & money over a crate or late model engine swap.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
or get an old crower manifold and convert it to efi with injector stacks

:yell:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
my only ???? is why??/
unless u have LOTS N LOTS OF $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
There are at least 50 different combos to a 350 why i ask??????????????:poke:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The same "why" question could have been asked of Buick when they decided to turbo their V6. The thing runs pretty strong though. I agree on the too much money though. Without something already developed and on the market, the price could get out of hand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whether it's a front mount centrifugal supercharger or a turbo, it can be done universal style (you make it fit).
As far as the tbi style efi, you may need larger injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator,possibly better fuel pump & or a fuel pump booster box., & preferably a dyno shop to do the computer tuning. There are many different options to enhance a fuel injection system to handle more power& properly tune it. Many companies offer a mail order tune for known combinations.
All is possible, but very questionable if it's worth the trouble & money over a crate or late model engine swap.
id assume id need bigger injectors and such if im pumping say 6psi of boost in. but the more i toss around the idea i think im better off just dropping a grand national motor in (which im starting to get more hesitant about knowing the problems those cars had in the past) or ordering a 350 crate H.O motor from jegs, turn key and ready to go.

i think itd be cool to have a tubo camino and surprise the **** out of ppl when i can pull off the lines....

but at the same time i have an SS... people wanna HEAR an SS coming down the road.. and then i could add those cool side pipes and be noticed (since MA i dont need to pass emissions after 20 years :) ) so im still in the middle. i feel like im taking a step back going to carburation (very argumentative i know) but i like not having to deal with a choke and turning the key and just going.....

i mean after the motor swap shes obviously not my daily driver anymore especially living in new england... ill die before i let that car see any road salt....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
either way im looking at $5,000+ so its a toss up....

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
My first plans were for a buick regal t type thought it would be a interesting swap in my 72. my brother has a t type it is impressive for a stock v6. I went with a 86 tpi vette motor instead. still toy with the possibility of one day doing the swap. check out this 84 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3329480/1984-buick-grand-national

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The Buick I just bought has the 3800 V6 with a belt driven supercharger. Likely not as much power as the turbocharged one though. It does perform good though...
Might be a decent swap into a light car......

Just remembered that I saw one in a Fiero a few years ago......

The GMC Cyclone (sp) S-15 4X4 pickup had blowers on a 4.3 engine, two blowers if I remember correctly.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts