El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to see what width I need for a ford 9 inch to go in a 79 elco.

·
Registered
59 Posts
def interested also what would be a good car to get a replacement from.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Honestly the easiest way is to call quick performance and buy yourself a 9" ford that will bolt into the car... Is $750 for the housing, 31 spline moser axles and the axle bearings. Then find yourself a center section to build for it. .... They bolt into the stock location using the same parts as the 7.5 rear, although with the big block you have spoken about I would recommend upgraded control Arms or at least boxing the stock arms

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks fr the input guys. I have the engine that will turn it and just got brand new control arms and all new suspension system, now on to the rear end and transmission with a 3500 stall converter. Then get them brakes replaced all around. gotta find a way to stiffen up the chassis though. gotta crawl before I walk and gotta walk before I hook up and haul down the track. Thanks again fellas

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
A cheap and easy way to help stiffen the chassis is with all the F-41 braces. The jounce bars, grand prix bar, fender to radiator braces, and the cowl to radiator braces really help stiffen up the front of the car. I use the rear control arm braces that UMI makes, that tie in the upper and lower control arm mounts in the rear and have been real happy with those as well

·
Registered
555 Posts
thanks fr the input guys. I have the engine that will turn it and just got brand new control arms and all new suspension system, now on to the rear end and transmission with a 3500 stall converter. Then get them brakes replaced all around. gotta find a way to stiffen up the chassis though. gotta crawl before I walk and gotta walk before I hook up and haul down the track. Thanks again fellas
Does your car currently have a 10 bolt?

Who's control arms/suspension did you purchase?

There are many ways to stiffin the chassis and suspension. Solid body mounts, stiff springs and stiff shocks and limiting suspension travel. Probably one of the best ways would be a 6 point roll bar/cage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts