El Camino Central Forum banner

Are you interested in having a picnic at Fort Christmas on July 31st?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am proposing a picnic on July 31st at Fort Christmas. I choose this place because there is plenty of shade, pavilions, historic things to see, and a playground for the youngsters or the young at heart. Fort Christmas is located in Christmas, Florida just off State Road 50, twenty miles east of Orlando. I think BBQ chicken and pulled pork will be good along with baked beans and potato salad, iced tea and lemonade. I will provide and prepare everything and accept a donation of $10 per person. Admission to the park is free but, there may be a fee to rent the pavilion.

Don’t miss out on this chance to meet or renew fellowships with folks who have the same love of El Caminos as you. This will be a good to see what others have done to their ride whether it is a work in progress , show car or a daily driver. We welcome all. It is not necessary to drive your El Camino. Just come and enjoy the fun. Let me know if you are interested in coming and how many will be in your party.

Here is a little bit about the park.

On December 25, 1837, a force of 2,000 U.S. Army Soldiers and Alabama Volunteers arrived near this spot to construct a fort which was aptly named, Fort Christmas. This fort was only one of over 200 forts built during the Second Seminole Indian War, 1835 - 1842. The fort houses exhibits and a video presentation on the Seminole Indian Wars..

Visit the full size replica of Fort Christmas. Seven restored historical homes preserve the 'Cracker' architecture of East Orange County. The houses are interpreted to show pioneer life from the 1870s through the 1930s. Key themes are homesteading, cattle, citrus, hunting, fishing and trapping. The Fort Christmas Historical Society and Orange County Parks and Recreation Division.

The Park has three picnic pavilions two of which seat 100 people and one which seats 50 people. Each pavilion has a large barbeque grill, electrical outlets and water hose. For pavilion rental please call. There is a playground with swings, slide, a fort looking jungle gym, and an area for small children. There is a basketball court, tennis court and a small baseball field.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I would be interested in doing this in the fall but not in the summer . It's just too hot & humid in Florida plus PM lightning & thunderstorms almost daily . Oct-Nov would be better . That is why region 6 don't do shows in the summer . good luck .

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been there before and heat was not a problem. Park is 75% +/- shade trees.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,921 Posts
R/T thanks for suggesting and heading up this get together . I plan on attending from the Keys and hope others will join in . It will be in the " warm " season for sure but that it is a park setting and not asphalt will certainly make a difference and a lot of you are near enough to day trip it . Too far for a day trip for me and will decide later on what to do . On the food . Is there a food concession there ? We appreciate your cookout idea and can discuss it more later . $10 is very reasonable and we can chip in to be sure you do not foot the costs . I don`t recall having a meet up in that area and hope that those of you that wish we had something near you will participate . As Nathan says , we are not a association of show cars but a group that both appreciates and welcomes all daily drivers , works in progress , show cars and beaters so one never needs a tricked out ride to join in the fun .

·
4,921 Posts
Chris , I looked at a past post on the Horsepower Ranch event but could not see if we attended as a group . Do you remember ? I think I may not have attended as it is around the dates that my wife got her vacation time . I plan on attending . Anyone else up for it ?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Lenny , our group did attend in 2019 , we had about 12 Elky's out of about 150 cars . It was canceled in 2020 due to Covid . Have not heard about this year . We have photos posted some where on here .

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,673 Posts
Ft. Christmas is a nice place. I've been there many times. I wish this event was closer to the beginning of the month as I'll be in the area thru 7/11/21. I hope you guys have fun!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Chris , I looked at a past post on the Horsepower Ranch event but could not see if we attended as a group . Do you remember ? I think I may not have attended as it is around the dates that my wife got her vacation time . I plan on attending . Anyone else up for it ?
Lenny , I found the photos that Chuck took , look under 2019 October Pumpkin Show , post # 50 .

·
4,921 Posts
You da man Chris . I found the fine photos that Chuck posted on the 2019 Pumpkin Show . I did not attend as I had family visiting . The info that R/T posted on the Fort Christmas Picnic looks good and I plan on going . I would love to have purchased a 59 Camino by that time .

Reactions: Chris Nelson

·
Registered
90 Posts
Couple years back we attended as a group and it was special for me in that i am also with the Central Fla Classic Truck group and NECOA had one side of the road a CFCT had the other side. Must have been 5 or 6 Elco's and about the same Classic Trucks face to face, was really neat.

·
4,921 Posts
This Ft. Christmas get together is slowly gaining traction and is looking good . I will start to look for a motel in the area as the Keys are tooo far for just a day trip . If anyone hears of a place , please post it .

·
Registered
741 Posts
@R/T I know you said you were fine with handling the food but is there anything else that the rest of us can bring to help with this event? I'm looking forward to making the trip for this one.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I think I'll join this one, I need a road trip. It's about 2 hours and 40 minutes away and I'm just going to make it a day trip.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'm still on the fence on this one although it's only about 1 1/2 hours away . We've been getting T-storms & rain everyday for the last week but we need it . Lost my sister in Gainesville last month on May 12 , glad we got to see her after the Gainesville car show on April 24 . Mary has to have her stent replaced again in about 2 weeks . I just take things 1 day at a time . If we do come we will bring CC Cookies .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts