El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I found an El Camino! This seems to be exactly what I was looking for: 1977, first owner, 36 000 original miles, original paint, no rust etc... There's a hard top on the back which has been on it ever since the guy bought it new in 1977 so the back is as new. I haven't seen the car in real yet but it sounds perfect. You guys are the ones with the experience. What do you think?

The only thing is that I'm really not a big fan of the color and would prefer to have it black. If I repaint it, how hard (and expensive) would it be to change all the interior to black [it's currently light blue]? Thanks in advance for your help!
Eric

·
Banned
881 Posts
Eric @ B.O.S said:
The only thing is that I'm really not a big fan of the color and would prefer to have it black.
Don't say that to the original owner before you have the bill-of-sale. He might change his mind about selling it to you. It's a great looking, all original Elky. If I owned it I wouldn't change a thing. Good luck with it.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with ernie, I wouldn't change a thing either. It would be worth much more with everything original. But then agian people drive cars (some people anyway) because they enjoy them. By the way, nice find. the car is really clean.
-Yoshi

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd pull that camper top off, get a tonneau cover, Put some nice wide cragars or centerlines on it, put some air springs in the back to hold the back up- and drive the heck out of it as is!

I had a 75 with that same color combo- tu-tone blue, with blue interior- Loved it! I thought it kicked ass.

Only wish I had had the money and smarts to do the stuff i mentioned above to mine!!! I sold it for almost nothing- Its taken me about 10 years- and 2 elcaminos later, i've finnaly got one setup the way i wanted and more, but i still wish i had kept that car...

:) :cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
WOW not to shabby. Snag it before the guy comes to his senses. I'm not a big fan of that body style, but that interior looks super. You'll probably find that the camper shell is more of a vision liability than an asset. Hope you have fun with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your feedback everyone! I'm getting this car. This is my first El Camino so your advice is really helpfull. This time I wanted a perfect car. I restore old Harleys for myself and have had old 4x4 trucks before and I've learned that it just ain't worth buying a cheaper ride and re-doing everything yourself if you can afford to buy a good one from the start, which I can because I've been saving up for this.

The camper top is the first thing I'll be taking off! I think I might keep it this color after all. The more I look at the pics, the more I like it.

The guy says this one has a cruise control that works + a sort of indicator for consumption etc...
Thanks again!
Eric

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
36,000 miles, WOW, I'd take the shell off, maybe some white lettered Goodyear tires and clean up the interior, other than that I'd leave it alone. Nice find 8O , I'm not a big fan of 4th Gen Elkys either but I'd snatch this one up before someone else beats you to it, like me for an example.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice find. I agree with the others. Leave the color as is. Why mess with it if you don't have to. Also agree, lose the camper shell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts