El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the number of factory four speeds in 80? I have one and never heard of four speed caminos til then, thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 79 and an 81 - both are factory 4-speeds. They are certainly rare. Not sure about the numbers but the 4-on-the-floor was definitely an afterthought. The hole in the transmission tunnel looks like it was hacked open with a hammer and a cold chisel and the linkage has some pretty bad geometry going on . . .

Still I would have it no other way - bang stick on the floor :beer:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dan! Mine has a cover riveted to cover it and someone threw in a 350 trans with a b&m z-gate. I'm in the process of converting it back to bang stick cause I agree, if you don't have to use both feet to drive it and both hands to control it, it's no fun! I will try to upgrade the linkages considering I have to replace them, my main concern is finding a trans, scarce or gold is all I've found.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Donny! I'm glad to be in it. It's a 350 w/ 327 2.02/1.60 valve heads. I've raced it from the 11s to 9.20s and now I want it back four speed and on the road, I'm wanting to rebuild the engine & .030 over also have the heads freshened up. I only have a few pics but let me figure out how and I will

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, that is a crime to convert to an auto trans from a 4-speed! Kudos to you for wanting ot convert it back. Biggest issue on mine is both Z-bars broke and welding them back together seemed to not fix the linkage / clutch adjustment issues. I am currently converting the 79 to a hydraulic clutch which eliminates the clutch geomotry woes . . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those were my thoughts exactly but how difficult is the hydraulic conversion?

·
Registered
342 Posts
The hydraulic conversion is not that difficult. Search for this on the site and you will find lots of info for making it work with existing Chevy parts from Camaros and I believe S-10 pickups from members who have done this conversion. I bought a complete aftermarket kit but it was not cheap. I am also converting to a Quicktime scattershield which is set up for hydraulic input / output lines - no clutch fork. However, you can use the factory bellhousing with the hydraulic clutch assembly.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I replaced my Z-bar with one from OPGI One and it works just fine. I read through several of the threads about converting over to hydraulic clutches, but unless you are having header interference problems, I find the factory setup works just fine. Several people complained of linkage issues, but if you are using the right bellhousing, with the offset ball pivot and the dogleg clutch fork, the stock clutch linkage seems to work just fine - especially at the cost of the conversion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I'll research both ways. Kerno, I see you have an 80 four speed as well,have you done research on the number made and in existence?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I hate the feel of the factory clutch set up. I intend to go hydraulic at some point. I will definately build mine. I plan to use the integral slave set up from a camaro firebird. I have had issues with S10 external slaves. They usually die about 1 month after they are out of warranty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
so i really dont want to come across as a complete moron but my neighbor said something about transmissions that i question.... i ask is because my 80' has what i call a three speed, i have Reverse 1st 2nd and 3rd, my neighbor says its a four speed because they count reverse.

·
Registered
852 Posts
What transmisions did the elkies come with for the most part? i ran a few saginaws in my old '80 malibu and they were great till a good wheel hop or shock load to the drivetrain lol. i ran what i was told is a world-class T10... and ive never heard of anyone having good luck with the Borg warner 56 speeds out of S10s.

and the Zbar is the weak point of factory clutch parts, all of them ive sen have ripped the linkeage off at the weld on either side.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As far as I know, the factory 4-speeds were all Saginaws - not positive. Both my 79 and 81 have them. The 79 has some odd gearing as I can hold first until 20 plus MPH - highway gears for sure. They will stand up to a stock 305 0r 350 with little effort, but I would be afraid to attach them to a built small block. I am rebuilding my 79 right now and have a Tremec TKO 5-speed (good for 500 HP) still in the box awaiting transplant. A Muncie M-21 or M-22 4-speed would be a great replacement for the Saginaw if you can find a good one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well after the posts about three speeds I wonder if they were sometimes replaced by four speeds? or if they came factory both ways?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I just saw the last post, I'm not sure how you found that but thanks :You_Rock:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.