El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my headliner this week with a new one already covered and made with a ABS plastic.
Much better now!
So that leaves me with a original shell headliner to dispose of, or offer free to anyone that can use it.
You pay the shipping cost to you.
Hate to throw it away, and don't have the room for it.
If nothing else, if you live close to me (va.) you can come pick it up.
1st come 1st serve. I'll hold on to it until the 1st week in june.

Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Jonesie,

I'd love to hear about your experience changing the headliner.

I'm about to tackle pulling out my old saggy one. (Headliner that is)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jonesie,

I'd love to hear about your experience changing the headliner.

I'm about to tackle pulling out my old saggy one. (Headliner that is)
Hi Dave
Yeah...., on a scale of 1 to 5 , with 5 being the hardest, I rank it a 3.5 - 4.
You can do it with one person, but 2 is handy when you are placing it in.
I bought a headliner that was already assembled on ABS plastic from a company out in california, because it was on sale at the time, and mine had became so shredded.
Clips , clips, clips. Make sure you have plenty (they break easy) even the new ones they supplied.
I'm actually getting ready to do a youtube channel on 5th gen El Caminos, specifically mine on replacing and repairing items and my experiences with them. The headliner install is one of those episodes. I'm still working on editing the video footage for the channel. Hopefully i should have it up by mid summer.
I also insulated my headliner as well because there was not much at all above the headliner.
In the short term, I've included a few pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine was cracked. I fiberglassed it, recovered it and went back with lighted visors from a 2000 Impala...I second the clips comment, the back ones are wider and mikes monte’s will try to tell you the are the same, They are not, OPGI caries them. also the front hold best with the a pillar trim in place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine was cracked. I fiberglassed it, recovered it and went back with lighted visors from a 2000 Impala...I second the clips comment, the back ones are wider and mikes monte’s will try to tell you the are the same, They are not, OPGI caries them. also the front hold best with the a pillar trim in place.

Agreed..., the clips are easy to break, and you are correct, the front and rear clips are different, but look similar. They both seem like they work and fit the same way, but there must be a reason why GM originally did this. Any clues anyone?
I did purchase this HL from the company you mentioned because it was on sale, however I have bought a few things from this company, I won't name, because over the years their customer service, and prices have been not great. Treat me right, I'll come back even if your prices are a bit high, but I'm not giving you my money if you treat me like crap, no matter how bad I need it.

I digress..., anyhow, the front was the hardest for me to get into place. Kept breaking clips. But you are correct, the A pillar plastic will help you out by holding the front HL retainer.
Because the clips are black, and the inside of the roof is black where the clip holes are, it's hard to see, so I took some white out and painted around the clip holes and painted the top of the clips, so they would be easier to match up.
After I managed to break the new clips with no effort, I didn't feel like ordering new ones just to break again, so I went with a different ideal to retrofit the clips.
I took door panel clips, cut them so the would fit in between the clip and JB welded them together. Once dried, they worked better than the original, without breaking while trying to place them in the holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts