El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need everyone who is using the free webspace here on El Camino Central to use index.html index.htm or index.php files so that when other members click your link in the search pages your site will pop up. As it stands, many of the sites listed are inaccesible due to the lack of indexes. Remember, the free space is for you to share your files with other members!!!
Thanks.
Robert

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Curious

How much space is available per account? My Angelfire is almost maxed out. 20 Meg is all I get. I was thinking of splitting it up or just re-hosting it. I have even considered upgrading my existing SBC Yahoo DSL to include hosting.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As much as you need

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Robert,

I browsed your pages and pictures. You really have a nice truck, not that it is news to you. :D

Out of 42 reserved spaces only six have actual pages or sites. I hoped that I'd see more. Like those stories eveyone has about their trucks but I'll wait until there are some there.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unforunately, many webspace users either don't have any files uploaded or they don't have index files viewable. I will scan the directories and of those I find who haven't uploaded files, and those who have no indexes I will notify. The purpose of the space is to share photos files and information, if they aren't, then they are taking advantage of us and will be deleted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In light of my imminent castigation (NOT to be confused with a similar-sounding, far worse punishment...), I went forth to create something.

BUT - it won't let me upload any pics. It works for a little while, then comes back with an error message like:

DSC01133.jpg does not look to be a true .jpg

and declines to upload anything. Yet, these pictures are true .jpgs, which I have uploaded successfully other places.

Any idea why it might be doing this? Is there an individual file size limit or something?

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm. There is no file size limit set. Try renaming the file and trying again. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Microsoft does that. Here is a fix for that. Open up the image in an Editor. "Save as" click on the file you just opened and click "Ok" It will ask if you would like to overwrite tell it yes.
Then upload the file it will work fine. There is a bug in the Editor (Word or Front Page etc.. "Engine") that causes that corruption. It really is fine but that is a story in its self, we'll save it for a time around the campfire and we're "telling ghost stories!" :D.

Sometimes it will work and just not display after.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If you are using an ECC web page to redirect to your web page hosted by another ISP, and are using the "index.html" file to do the redirecting, it does not seem to be properly redirecting.

Seems to be if your "index.html" redirects, when you or someone else goes to something like "http://elcaminocentral.com/users/a72elky", it will not work properly. After changing "index.html" to "index.htm", it works again properly.

Maybe it was just me...

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stan, I have recieved several emails from members concerning this issue. Instead of responding to everyone individually, I posted a general response on the front page of the site. I am still working on the problem but until I find a solution, there is a short term fix listed on the main site page.

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
159 Posts
I put up a web site on my ISP last year, had to shut it down as the ex was making it aggravating to maintain. All the pics that I uploaded had to have the names changed to lower case letters in order to work correctly. Found that bit of info in a web designing book from the library. Numbers will work with lower case letters. ie: DST013.jpg needs to be renamed to dst013.jpg in order for it to work properly. I had to go thru and rename all my pics and it worked great. I just set up my web space today and I'm working on text to go with the pics on this site. Will keep you all posted.
Kevin

·
Registered
97 Posts
Scrubby said:
Numbers will work with lower case letters. ie: DST013.jpg needs to be renamed to dst013.jpg in order for it to work properly.
Just make sure the references in the HTML match the actual file names. The case you mentioned above will work on a web server running on Windows, but not on a web server running on Linux, since file names in Linux/UNIX are case sensitive.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I feel really bad asking this-
(and yes, I tried the search engine, but all it did was come up with crap)

Where do I get this free web space? I have looked all around the site in a desperate attempt to find some sort of link so I wouldnt have to ask a stupid question and look like a jackass. But hey- here I am, looking like a jackass, SHOCKING.

-Luke

(I'm going to play that russian roulette game again)

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The link is on the front page just below the weekly featured ride.
Or you could follow this link Here.

·
Registered
311 Posts
GAARRGH- I knew it. Right under my nose. Thanks Big Honcho-(how do you spell Honcho?)

-Luke

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hey Robert-oh grand one, master of the greatest site anywhere!!!

I'm a computer dummy but love the free space-I would love to be able to let everybody see the pics I have there. As it is i just post them one at a time on the forum board-is there a way I can set it up so that all the pics will show on one or two pages and create a link to that/those pages? If it involves actual web design and is too much work, don't worry about it-just curious.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,
I am actually PopTanner's' daughter. My dad and I are trying to get his web page set up. But he has absolutely no web building experience, and I am clueless with html. I used AwOL's designer until we switched to cable. I haven't started messing with html yet. I plan too, and what better way then helping Dad get my grandpa Jack's Elky out there for all to see? I tried the EZWeb thing, and was pretty much lost. I think html would actually be easier for me, as I am familiar with most forms of BBCode...but I would like some help...maybe just a starting off point? Anyone? Thanks.

:cool:

Bob's daughter, Kristal

1 - 20 of 32 Posts