El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 80 knowing I had some work and $ ahead of me but hoping not a lot. (WRONG!!!)
Yesterday I popped the hood and decided I'd clean up and paint the engine bay. As I was standing there deciding where to start I noticed the master cylinder has been leaking!!!!
Now that in it's self is no biggie but add that to things like needing a new battery, fix fender and door, and a small list of maybe a 100 other things I started thinking I'd just part it out and recoup my money. Oh yea lets not forget I need a 454 also!!!
Anyway as I went through the day I decided no I will not part it out. I will get it back on the road. Maybe I can only buy one thing per pay check and maybe only fix one or 2 things a week but it will be rolling and running again.
I see how people can feel overwhelmed. Lots to do and many dollars to spend but I will make it happen.
So today is day one, let the fun begin!!!:beer:
Others felt my pain?
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I'm on the 3rd year with mine, hasn't run for 2 yrs, and lookin at another year (or more), renting space to keep it in/work on it. On the other hand, you have yours at home, have another elkie to drive while you fix this one, and drive a brand new vehicle for work.

poor baby! (offers a hanky)

:???:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
dont feel so bad donny, after i got lumpy it sat for over a yr just waitng on a transmission(ya know $$$$) it looked pretty rough also (still does lol) washed it for 2 days to get it to look like this
now it looks like this
who could forget this

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I bought the 80 knowing I had some work and $ ahead of me but hoping not a lot. (WRONG!!!)
Yesterday I popped the hood and decided I'd clean up and paint the engine bay. As I was standing there deciding where to start I noticed the master cylinder has been leaking!!!!
Now that in it's self is no biggie but add that to things like needing a new battery, fix fender and door, and a small list of maybe a 100 other things I started thinking I'd just part it out and recoup my money. Oh yea lets not forget I need a 454 also!!!
Anyway as I went through the day I decided no I will not part it out. I will get it back on the road. Maybe I can only buy one thing per pay check and maybe only fix one or 2 things a week but it will be rolling and running again.
I see how people can feel overwhelmed. Lots to do and many dollars to spend but I will make it happen.
So today is day one, let the fun begin!!!:beer:
Others felt my pain?
Donny
I know how you feel every time you fix something you see something else. There's no way to say O.k. I can do this and it should cost? because it never is. I started at $$ and then $$$ and i hope it doesn't go to $$$$. It's like at tootsie pop will you ever get to the center to the sweet spot. Inquiry minds want to know. I was asked to post a list of everything i used but a post will only allow 10,000 characters and 13 pictures and i don't think I want to know. now I'm in a crunch for the trip to Pismo and she has to be done before.

I know you it will be fixed and sold and you will be posting your new find soon.
Robert:texas::texas:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It's easy to get discouraged. Any project on a hot rod will cost twice as much and take 3 times as long as you had originally planned.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I didn't realize how much progress I made last year until I began listing it all.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=46758&highlight=made+lot+progress

(and that's not all of it)

as far as what it cost.....I look at each individual thing and just tell myself "got a great deal on that", "got a great deal on that", etc. by the time I go thru everything, "I got a great deal" is all I remember.

works for me.

your mileage may vary.

:dontknow: :poke:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Obscene Yellow! I love it! where's the arrows on the hood???

:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats sweet!!!!:You_Rock: I wish I could put one together as fast as you can!!!
Dang you, I still haven't got the boat you hooked up to my 68!!!!:beer:
Donny

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Don't get discouraged, Donny! If we can resurrect Carlos from near death, with our meager funds, AND we had to pay someone else to do it for us, you'll get it all worked out!! You've got the benefit of at least being able to do the work yourself! You'll get it up and running, and having me wanting it in no time! :beer:

·
Registered
671 Posts
The fun of it is to search for the bargin parts. one at a time. I'm sure you'll find what you need or rebuild the parts ya got. :texas:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Donny, Tried calling today :) I was in a bit of a pickle myself feeling defeated even hiring a helping hand. Wondering if the fight is even worth it. Then it was like dad came and sat down beside me, and I kid you not, picked up a part and BAM! it was the missing link. So yes even if it's a burn and turn the fight is worth it. It's what makes us the indivuals who we are. And like hkdup I thought $$$ and would then be able to save up and do body work. but no,
New carb
New fuel lines
New fuel pump
New plugs
New rotor button
New coil
New secondary coil
New ECM
New condenser
New alternator
New calipers
New master
New booster
New wheel cylinders
New tires
New brake lines
New water pump
New thermostat x3
New hubs
New drums

See you're not alone!

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
The fun of it is to search for the bargin parts. one at a time. I'm sure you'll find what you need or rebuild the parts ya got. :texas:

X100 that's why I enjoy mine so much!!

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
you got it easy Donny, you don't have any rust repair to do, just an engine.

heck, my mom can build an engine!

:poke:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
New carb
New fuel lines
New fuel pump
New plugs
New rotor button
New coil
New secondary coil
New ECM
New condenser
New alternator
New calipers
New master
New booster
New wheel cylinders
New tires
New brake lines
New water pump
New thermostat x3
New hubs
New drums

See you're not alone!
...And the list just keeps getting longer and longer..:poke:
:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
...And the list just keeps getting longer and longer..:poke:
:beer:

THANKS FOR STARTING MY LIST ALL I HAVE TO DO IS ADD A LOT MORE AND PRICE IT.:poke:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Well DDD up north there,s a 81 someone but a big block in to but there not a good body panel on it and they think its worth as much as maybe a little more than you payed So you got a rust free body now build it right your way then you know what you have and when you sell it you can shoe them what you did.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts