El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I decided to do the interior paint today as it was a nice day. Two coats. It is lighter than I wanted, trying my best to match what I have on the outside. I think once the interior and carpet gets in it will seem darker so I’m fine with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am excited to say I finally have an upper dashboard again. I start by tacking in the window channel in the middle. Then i saw how it was fitting around the corners. Seemed fine so I started working my way toward the sides. but then I was worried that maybe since it matched up with the dash it would not sit flush so I decided to get the dash into play. Good thing I did because if I had the channel on the edges how I thought it should be then it would have been pushing the dash down too far. Anyway, point being is that if you are doing this I would say it is important to use the upper dash metal ( if you took yours out like I did ) to position everything. Also, I think I mentioned this but what I did, instead of doing plug welds was to drill the larger hole and then drill a smaller hole in the mating piece so that I could pick up part of that with the welder to make a nice solid weld through both pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Thanks, I am hoping to inspire others! I have welded a little very little in the past but I have never used body filler and never anything to this extent with sheet metal channel's and windshields and stuff. Thank you for the compliment, we will see how it turns out!

·
Registered
1960 454ci th400 61cad int. & pwr options
48 Posts
I have seen body shops that did not come close to doing work this clean. Very impressive to say the least. I am getting ready to replace widow seals soon and would not be surprised to find some damage to the rear channel so this will make an excellent reference if needed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have seen body shops that did not come close to doing work this clean. Very impressive to say the least. I am getting ready to replace widow seals soon and would not be surprised to find some damage to the rear channel so this will make an excellent reference if needed.
Thank you, I am here and willing to try and help anyone with anything I learned so feel free to PM me anytime!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thank you, I am here and willing to try and help anyone with anything I learned so feel free to PM me anytime!
Man you have made me feel so much better this is right where I am at with my 66 and I was feeling lost in the wilderness. I am so glad to see someone else has had the same problems as I have and how well it can turn out

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Man you have made me feel so much better this is right where I am at with my 66 and I was feeling lost in the wilderness. I am so glad to see someone else has had the same problems as I have and how well it can turn out
No problem!!! Just reach out on PM if you have any questions. When I needed to do this I was not finding much if any info so I felt the need to put out as much as I can on the topic. This is all going great for me for a first time doing all of this, the worst part is just not being able to match up the paint perfectly. A good paint gun and compressor would have cost me a lot so I am okay with it plus I am planning to have the car painted a some point so i should be fine. From a distance it looks good but it has too much metallic in it so in certain light and up close you can see the difference, you can see in the pics i post I am sure.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Here is the latest batch of photos. The paint should darken up a little but that is what bothers me the most about this project, the discrepancy of the paint :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Looking good Overpaid!!. I will be doing the same thing for my ,66. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!!. Outstanding!!.
Matty man

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Looking very good. And thanks for the step by step. If you move to the UK I see a knighthood in your future.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You guys sure make me feel better about mine how did you remove the chrome trim around the rear window? I already have all of the parts to fix it and what I dont have I can make. I have almost every tool known to mankind.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You guys sure make me feel better about mine how did you remove the chrome trim around the rear window? I already have all of the parts to fix it and what I dont have I can make. I have almost every tool known to mankind.
There is a special tool to take the trim off, once you see the trim clip you will see how it comes off, if you YouTube there are videos. Anyway, since I was replacing my trim I didn’t care so I just yanked it and ruined the stuff that was there, it was not in good shape so I didn’t care. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The pictures are from my 79. The first picture is the tool grabs the clip and pushes it towards the glass and releases it from the trim. The second picture is the clip. It pushes down on a stud and the little nub clicks on the trim.
Tom
Grey Collar Tool Jewellery Font
Jeans Guitar accessory Grey Wood Font

21 - 40 of 44 Posts