El Camino Central Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
One milestone reached. I got the rear window in along with the trim. Here are my notes/issues.

First off, upon dry fit of the window, which I highly recommend, There was a larger gap on the passenger side of the car in the upper corner, and not just along a small portion but most of the vertical part that goes from the top to bottom. It looked larger than the butyl would cover but it was close so I took a chance. After setting the window in place I pressed it in along the edges and it sealed but the opposite side squished a lot more that the passenger side. I am really not sure what I could have done about this, it was close but thankfully it sealed.

Next, for some reason the trim on the lower corners does not sit flush against the window. It is close but there is a gap. I am blaming this on possibly how I installed the clips (since I had to drill and set the studs) or the trim. Either way it is suspect that it is pretty much the same amount and on the exact same place on each side.

Last, with couple of the clips, as I was trying to snap the trim in, the clips actually pushed in and I had to take the trim off and reset the trim clip. Total PITA. Then, one clip popped off and then another one in another location popped off. So, not sure again what to say here but just saying these things so you know what to possibly expect, I was expecting it to be a little smoother and hopefully for you it is.

Like I said overall I am pleased but one other point, I think the reason the one side didn't fit as nice was because my car had some body work along the passenger side b pillar so test fit (without clips) the trim before you install it maybe. Just to see in case you need to add some filler or sand down the area where the trim sits because for me i have one spot also on the side trim where there is a 1/8 inch gap toward the bottom between body and trim. Also, note that my trim didn't fit well when I started this because of previous repairs I think so if your trim is nice and flush and clip studs/clips are good then you can probably ignore all of what I said above :)

Hope this helps someone! More to come on the front windshield, hoping to tackle that this Friday night.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Windshield is in! I wish I could let you know how the trim install was but the place I ordered from sent me the wrong one lol. One point I will make on the clips that hold the trim though, this holds for front and rear.....

So in the second pic you see the stud and the clip. First I will say this seems the be what you are supposed to use, seems like from the factory they were welded in but these you just drill a pilot hole and screw it in. First issue, the head is bigger than the factory ones. So when you go to put the clip on it is very difficult to get it on, one thing I started doing was using a screwdriver to just a little bit bend the one part away from the other just to make some clearance because they are tight! For the factory studs it is fine but the aftermarket ones I found it very difficult to put them in, don't take it as gospel but just my opinion. Next, when I was installing the clips on the back I actually had a couple of the studs actually loosen a little, maybe a little loctite when you install? Just another thought.

Next note, the windshields I got from a seller on eBay called Auto City Classic. They came quick and packaged amazingly for a front and rear glass. I inspected on delivery and no cracks, happy camper. Then after installing I noticed a small scratch near the bottom. Now, I did not use any tools or anything that would have done this and it will be my word against theirs but I know for a fact that the scratch was there. So the lesson learned is don't just look for cracks. Obviously this was a mistake on their end, it got by quality control but I emailed and we will see if they offer a discount, obviously I am not going to remove it for a 2 inch scratch but what sucks is I know it is there and will alway see it, stinks.

I think this pretty much wraps up this project, looks like my first post was from about 28 days ago. Almost a month of working each day on the weekends (~8 hours each day) and after work most days for a few hours as well. It is important to note I literally don't have much of a life :ROFLMAO: not married, no kids. I do have some other hobbies but point is I was able to dedicate all my time to this. I would say if you are just doing this a little on the weekends it would probably take the better part of 3-6 months, maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I just thought of something I remember on the metal top dash.

I bought this from OPGI, I know there is an auto metal direct brand one, not sure where OPGI gets it, maybe it is theirs but anyway. First, the ends were tight on the actual dash. When you put the dash in it was tights on the sides. I did test fit it before so it was not a surprise, also the sides were positioned out as far as they could go so not sure what that is all about. So if you do this project with the top metal dash replacement just make sure you check the fit with the lower dash before you weld it in maybe you can manipulate it better. It still looks great just expected a tiny bit more gap on the sides just like the top.

Okay so to the top, there are these small plastic washers that you screw the lower dash into, the plastic washers clip into the top metal dash. Only about 2 of them lined up on one side, the other ones went in on sharp angles, it worked but they were way off, that was a disappointment because when they are screwed in you can see the angle. Again, it is not bad after it goes in but I literally had to put it in on a 45 degree angle and then it somewhat straightened out. Minor detail to some but again if you are expecting show car this would not fly.

Next, I have a dash pad from Ecklers. Not very pleased with the QC on that, where it is cut is choppy, would never put it on a show car, my car, no problem. The issue here is either with the metal top dash or the pad, one of the studs that is in the pad would not go into the hole in the dash metal, I had to open the dash metal with a body saw a significant amount to get it in. Thankfully it was toward the inside so you cannot see it.

Overall really not a huge deal because you have to inspect it to see these things. Maybe a pro would have known or had better ways to deal with these things but for a guy like me that was doing this the first time it created issues. Again, just some notes for you to expect if you do this!

Attachments

41 - 44 of 44 Posts