El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the front spindles on their Elky to Caprice spindles so that 12" brakes can be used?
Considereing the swap, just wondering if anyone has done this yet, and the results...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have. I'm using Hotchkis upper control arms too.
It is definatly worth it in my opinion.
It looks better too, if you have an open wheel.
The downside is that if you're a fan of 14"wheels, they wont fit. Neither will the spare

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i am doing it to my monte ss and will start my elcamino today. i am raiseing the control arm mounting point instead of the aftermarket arms. the monte is getting the 90 police b body non abs brakes and the elco is getting 95 police b body w/abs. well worth the upgrade especially if you drive it hard or fast.i have 2 of the b body cop cars and they stop very good. use the chevy cop car pads they seem to work the best.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome info, thanks..........
I read that aftermarket tubular lower control arms should be used with these.
What are you guys running in the rear? The oversized wheel cylinders?
And with the 12", the master has to be changed to, is that correct?

·
Registered
342 Posts
X2 on the cop car pads. reg pads were too thick to fit over my rotors.
Im running stock rear brakes, never had any issues.
yes, on the master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i am going 4 wheel disc on both cars. i change the axle end flange so all of the late caprice or s10 blazer rear set up goes right on.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The yard I'm getting the spindles from has LOADS of caprice stuff, mostly Cop Car stuff I think....
If I wanted to do rear disc, what should I purchase?

·
Registered
589 Posts
To install LS1 Camaro ('98-'02) 12" disc brakes on your El Camino, you must modify your spindle, thusly. Buy brackets to attach the Caliper to the spindle; have your rotors machined down to hubs; install; install ........

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
MC? Not with LS1 12". Don't know about Caprice, but I wouldn't think so.

Camaro stuff:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
ther rears ar an issue because of the odd axle tube mounting flange. unless you get a custom piece or use the gn rear you are you will have to modify your axle flange because there isnt enough material to safely mount the rear caliper support bracket to the existing axle end flange. the caprice rear is a good brake option ,nice vented rotors and aluminium pbr calipers.just a little work to make them work

·
Registered
589 Posts
ther rears ar an issue because of the odd axle tube mounting flange. unless you get a custom piece or use the gn rear you are you will have to modify your axle flange because there isnt enough material to safely mount the rear caliper support bracket to the existing axle end flange. the caprice rear is a good brake option ,nice vented rotors and aluminium pbr calipers.just a little work to make them work
I explained before, both 7.5 and 8.5 G-body rears have the same backing plate mount. They are the SAME.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showpost.php?p=372753&postcount=13

I don't know how difficult or expensive it is to use the Caprice rear, but using the el camino stocker, installing the LS1 12" setup, is inexpensive and not that much work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
actually they are quite different if you have the 4 bolt flange on a 7.5 its not as it came stock. i have had the g body cars from 78 to 87 and they all had the odd end plate. the only ones different that i have seen were the 8.5 gn rears. i have heard of the olds 442 being different but never actually seen one. the standard g body flange goes all the way up to the brake cyl which is held into it with that pain in the a-- clip . i will go take a pic of my 87 to show what i am talking about

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
every g body i have owned or worked on with the exception of a gn has had this flange. i have personally owned all years except the 85 and 88 and my best friend has a 85 and i do all of his work.they all have had this flange not the 4 bolt, i am happy you have the 4 bolt flange but the reality of it is yours is not the norm.almost all g body and all drum brake gen 3 camaros came with the flange i sent pics of. the darker one is from my 86 elco ss, the brighter one is from my 87 monte ss,if you need further proof i go to ca in 3 weeks for dr apt and will go to picapart and send you pics of every g body in there to validate my asertion. trust me i wish more came with the flange you have but they dont

·
Registered
589 Posts
actually they are quite different if you have the 4 bolt flange on a 7.5 its not as it came stock. i have had the g body cars from 78 to 87 and they all had the odd end plate. the only ones different that i have seen were the 8.5 gn rears. i have heard of the olds 442 being different but never actually seen one. the standard g body flange goes all the way up to the brake cyl which is held into it with that pain in the a-- clip . i will go take a pic of my 87 to show what i am talking about

:dontknow: That's why you saw it off.

Open this link this time: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showpost.php?p=372753&postcount=13

End of axle housing:

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
I HATE that damn clip. I dont understand why they couldnt just have two simple bolts like every other wheel cylinder up to that time.:twisted:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have sawed them off and tried the plates from camaro,blazer and big car and there is little room left on the outside of the bolt holes once drilled.on my monte there is 1/16 left on the outside of the bolt hole and the plate i am useing is from a 99 camaro . the lower holes were fine but the top worried me too much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did it. Used the "big bearing outer .850" spindles from an 89 Caprice station wagon and Global West upper a-arms.
Result; Braking was improved dramatically as was cornering. I also converted to wilwood rear 12 in discs at the same time.

Pros: Better braking, handling and ease of maintainence (pads vs shoes).
Cons: Unless you use the 1LE rotors and calipers the front unsprung weight is very heavy, resulting in a harsher ride. You also have to address the 5x5 bolt pattern from the b-body.

The b-body calipers have a retractable seal to reduce drag on the rotor that requires the proper "fast take up" M/C. Scrap any factory prop valve and get an aftermarket adjustable one.

You also need the proper alignment specs with the new geometry.

Global West has great info on the swap. They were around way before Hotchkiss and the others got into the game.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts