El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their 5th Gen Elky front brakeline rust thru? The area of concern is just behind front rightside wheel, in the area where the tubing connects to the rubber brakeline and is fastened to the frame. This is the only area of the front brakeline that has any rust on it AT ALL! The rust that formed is about 1" in length. This is the second 5th Gen in the family that this has happened to and, in the EXACT same location (also no rust anywhere else on the front lines). Check yours!!!

·
Banned
881 Posts
Here in the rustbelt it's just a matter of time before a brake line rusts through. I've replaced large and small sections of brake line to eliminate holes. Splice in a replacement section. Just be glad that it's in an accessable place.

Inline Tube sells the complete stainless brake line kit. I bought one for my sons Malibu and it is fantastic. I don't think you can buy just one new section though.

By-the-way Mike, what is this topic doing under "Garage Sales"?

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Absolutely agree!

A few years ago I had a cracked/leaking rubber hose (passenger side front), which gave me quite a pucker moment when it let go. Both rubber hoses up front were replaced.

See my current thread about rust through on the Front to Rear lines. The ultimate plan will be to replace ALL brake hard lines, plus the rear rubber hose. Working on it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts