El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone happen to know what years and body styles I can get a complete disk brake setup for my 66 El Camino. I have manual brakes and want to keep it that way. The drums seem to be doing a good job of stopping, I think disk would be a whole lot better. I have a decent selection from the junk yards around here. Not worried about rebuilding the components. I just did a complete front suspension rebuild last year and everything is in great shape. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I put '72 Monte Carlo discs on my '67. They are supposed to be the same from '68 to '72 on Chevelles, El Caminos, Montes and other GM a bodies. They bolt up at the spindles. Some things to look out for: The master cylinder for the '66 is a single bowl you need to convert to a dual bowl for disc brakes, the donor car you get the brakes from should have one, the brass fitting the lines go to is required also for dual lines. The brackets on the frame where the steel lines connect to the rubber lines are different as well as the rubber lines. This is a bolt up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brake swap

Nova will parts will work too. Ran them on my 69 chevelle. You will need to switch the spindle arms. The nova is a rear stear. I would switch to power brakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts