El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without resorting to expensive custom fabrication, is it possibile to modify the front of an 81 el camino to have the same look as a 79 by just bolting on those parts?

to illustrate:

before:

After:

And if possible what parts would be needed to do the change...
I figure the bumper, grille, headlight bezels and what ever they call the painted part that isin't hood or fenders (a name for that would also be cool)

Thanks,

-Thy

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
The painted part is called a header panel, and it is the same between 78-81, all you need are the trim parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So a complete parts list would include...

1 header pannel (79)

79 left and right headlight bezels

79 grille

and 79 bumper...

let me know if I'm missing anything there...

Thanks a bunch for the reply..

-Thy

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Turn signal lenses. And the header panel is the same as the 81

·
Banned
881 Posts
acauth1 said:
The painted part is called a header panel, and it is the same between 78-81...
:oops: Jeepers, I hate to disagree with the Site Administrator. But I, as much as all of the staff here, want to make sure that the information distributed here is as accurate as possible. So, with that said and while walking on eggshells...

There are differences between the header panels. The 78-79 header panels are the same, and the 80-81 header panels are the same, but the 78-79 is different than the 80-81. Neither the grills or headlight bezels are interchangable.

This is the LS headlight assembly of a 78-79

This is the LS headlight assembly of a 80-81

You can see the differences. The turn signals are different and to the left of the turn signal you can see the different mounting points for the headlight bezel.

:mrgreen:

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Hmmmm.... I guess you're right again. I stand corrected. ::::bowing head in shame:::

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hay Ernie, could you remove that marker light so I can see behind it, real quick? :D

GM does that with everything. They make just enough changes so that you have to have all different parts. but not enough to really look different. From looking, to me, it looks like you could have kept the header panel the same but change the bezel so the front has a different look, from a production standpoint. It also seems like it would have been cheaper for GM to do it that way.

But then I could be missing some little stuff, my eyes are not like they use to be. :crazy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
parts parts parts......

Any suggestions on where to find a 78 header pannel at a decent price?

Or if anyone here would have one up for sale....

Thanks.. BTW - for junk yard suggestions I am located in Northern New Jersey

·
Banned
881 Posts
Just the header panel? Or do you need the grill, bezels, etc..., as well? I've got a few extra 78-79 parts and for the right price I'll meet you half way.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would be looking to purchase everything.

grill, bezels, lenses, header pannel, and eventually an bumper (without the rubber strip) All Parts necessary to go from point "A" above to point "B"

-Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts