El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of play in my steering, and when I hit a bump while in a curve, the front end gets an odd sideways feel to it. I have decided to rebuild the front end, but have been unable to find a complete kit. Can anyone recommend a dealer that sells a complete rebuild kit? If not, what parts will I need?

Rick

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
I've been collecting parts to do both of mine ! I got a few from rockauto.com & found a bunch of cheap deals on ebay ! I'm using GM & AC Delco because the first parts lasted 25 years & Hope to get that again !! Here is a few diagrams that might help you !!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just keeping an eye on this thread as I was making a parts list for a front (and rear) suspension rebuild myself. :beer:

Jeri~

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
performance suspension technologies is what i rebuilt mine with 8 yrs ago and i still love the tightness of it. http://www.p-s-t.com
Dang Matrixx! Nice of ya to rejoin the fray. A member since 04 and only 12 posts? DDD does that in one 30 minute time frame. As for the frontend.. I have been told by 2 GM mechanics that the idler arm does not need to br replaced since it is a non wear item. I bought all of my front end items from rockauto. Springs, all bushings, tie rods and sleeves, ball joints, bump stops., all moog parts. That wa 5 years and 200k miles ago. Just had a front end alignment done last week and everything is still good. I have an alignment done every Memorial day weekend and grease every bushing with every oil change. So far, so good.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I just found this on ebay. It looks like it contains most of the parts, but seems a bit expensive to me. Is it worth the investment?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200535842063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
That's WAY too much money! Plus, you don't even get the drag link. You don't need the idler arm, its a non wear item. Check out rockauto.com. they also give a discount for being an ECC member. And X2 on the upgrade to the Jeep steering shaft.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have been gone for a while... someone took away my 2 posts that used to be sticky's. This is the one I had for front end.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=38572

The kit you posted seemed like a quite a bit of money for what you get.

I ended up upgrading my front end with...

New Stock Height Springs
2" Drop Spindles

QA1 shocks
Tubular A-arms
Polyurethane bushings
Monte SS quick ratio gear box
Moog Front End Rebuild Kit
Moog Ball Joints
Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
Jounce Bars
Grand Prix bar
Baer brakes 14" rotor

·
Registered
281 Posts
steering gear

Can't go wrong with Moog parts. A little more expensive but their worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
If you need the upper control arm shafts in that kit you have other problems. It is like they threw them in there to get the price up.
go with the Moog problem solver ball joints, tie rod ends, center link and idler arm. Can't go wrong with them. The poly bushings are available from lots of places. Shop them hard.
I'm with Jarhead, Idler arm is a wear item, pitman arm is non-wear.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood, but in that stickied thread, you state the Jeep steering shaft is a "no wear" item.

Nothing with a universal joint and its attendant bearings is "no wear."

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree on the Moog parts, I rebuilt my 87 with all Moog parts and added KYB gas-a-just shocks,
had my steering box rebuilt by Red-Head steering in Seattle-- don't waste your time or money on the
rebuilt units at local parts shops, I tried and gave up after installing two defective Cardone units.
Red-Head Steering rebuilds them correctly. Check the control arm bushings, my upper ones were
in real bad shape, replaced those with Moog problem solver bushings.

Good luck

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
I found great deals on e bay with the GM dealerships closing & people buying their inventory !
I got my 4 AC Delco tie-rods for a $1.00 each !! ball joints for $5.00 each, Bearings $4.00 each !! I think I paid $20.00 for the center link !! & many more deals & great prices.
They list the parts by part #'s not what they fit !!
If you search for part #'s you can find them cheap !!
That's what I do & I'm on a low low low budget !!

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
ditto on the moog 'problem solver' line - i rebuilt my front end a few years back (check the link in my signature for pics). the problem solver line has a harder compound than oem but not as stiff as poly.

you can get coil spring compressor at your local auto zone - they take your cc#, but don't charge you anything; unless you don't bring it back!

it's a fun project - you won't need the center link or pitman arm, but you should replace the idler.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been collecting parts to do both of mine ! I got a few from rockauto.com & found a bunch of cheap deals on ebay ! I'm using GM & AC Delco because the first parts lasted 25 years & Hope to get that again !! Here is a few diagrams that might help you !!
87, What manual did you find your diagrams and the parts list in? I could only find the front suspension exploded diagram in my 1982 Caballero service manual, no parts list or the center diagram.

ditto on the moog 'problem solver' line - i rebuilt my front end a few years back (check the link in my signature for pics). the problem solver line has a harder compound than oem but not as stiff as poly.

you can get coil spring compressor at your local auto zone - they take your cc#, but don't charge you anything; unless you don't bring it back!

it's a fun project - you won't need the center link or pitman arm, but you should replace the idler.
Ed, any reason not to do the center link? I haven't seen much on it's service in the manual so I assume it isn't really a wear item?

--

What do you all think of solid tie rod adjuster sleeves? I've seen a few companies selling them and I don't know that they do much to improve things, though they claim they remove some flex from the assembly. More so, would it make things easier on the alignment shop folks, or harder?

Great info all :beer:

Jeri~

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
when i took mine out it was almost as tight as the new one i'd ordered - i went ahead and put the new one on because i had it - if it has slop or is loose enough to move with you fingers, then replace it.

the solid adjusters look cool - it didn't order them, but i have seen them on cars and like them. they are certainly more stout, but i don't know that they really add anything in a street cruiser.

·
Registered
769 Posts
performance suspension technologies is what i rebuilt mine with 8 yrs ago and i still love the tightness of it. http://www.p-s-t.com
Ten years ago I rebuilt my front suspension with the PST Performance Poly Graphite Super Front End Kit plus the larger sway bar new springs all around. Also added Edelbrock IAS shocks and Airlift bags in the rear springs. Couldn't be more pleased with the handling and not that expensive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts