El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, Friday the 8th of August I bumped into a fellow elCamino driver at a local auto parts store. Actually I walked in and announced that I wanted to talk to the owner of the 1970 elCamino in the parking lot. That gets attention! Anyway he showed me his, and I showed him mine, elCamino's that is... and we started talking about leaks. I said that I had one in the front that was hard to find, he said his also leaked in the front because the seal around the firewall needed to be replaced. He was telling me that the front clip needed to be removed, old sealer removed, and new sealer added before the front clip went back on. Is this the proper fix? How much beer will it take to get enough guys to do this job? :cry:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Ahhh yes another case of El Camino envy. Which side of the car does it leak from...are you sure it's not something more simple, like maybe the gasket around the heater core or some other opening in the firewall or door jam?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm not sure where the leak is coming from. We replaced the heater core already, so I'm betting against that. I'll spend more time tracing the front leaks. I just thought that his explanation sounded plausable. I just want to get this vehicle tight so I can restore the interior.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
After I had gutted the 80 I have I noticed that the seam where the floor pan meets the firewall had lost some of the seam sealer over the years. I didn't notice that it had been getting water in there but that is at least a place to look. Seam sealer is much like caulk, if you've never seen it, and the older the truck the more brittle that stuff is and can vibrate loose and off.

I've heard that the Heater Box is generally the culprit of water getting into the front floorboard or the windshield or the heater core. 68 is an old truck and then only way to assure that it is all water tight and together as it should be is do a Frame off and fix it all at once. It is a lot of work and some people just don't have the time or money.

Good luck in finding the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts