El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting this Friday ( 5-25-12 ), Pick and Pull is having their 1/2 off the entire yard sale! Four day run, and I thought it would be a good time to make a visit.

I'd like to replace the front sway bar, and upgrade my front end. Perhaps front springs as well.

I'm aware of diameter(s) in the different bars available however, is there a bar from other than a Monte Carlo SS, 442, or GN that will upgrade from another vehicle?I read that " F " body sway bars are a good swap? But these are Camaro & Firebird, has anyone used these bars? And if so?, what years are a good stock fit?

What would you be looking for in terms of vehicles other than a standard " G " body?, I don't want to fabricate the fit, just an easy install and upgrade.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the 90/91 camaro z28 spring is a dirrect fit and a nice firm spring. the sway bar im not sure on. the track on the camaro is about 4 in wider so i think the bar will be also

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
try looking for the malibu police car, very scarce now days but thier front bars were 1 3/8 in solid. and they had a very large power brake booster.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
If you're looking to upgrade to a bigger dual diaphram brake booster, you can use one from a 1988-90 Caprice (rebuilt: cardone part # 54-71040 and is about $95.00 w/o core).
You can see the upgrade on MonteCarloSS.com, Technical Disscusions, 1-17-2010, @ 3:36 AM

Doug

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
thats basically what the police one was.its a truck one with the correct pushrod. its a dirrect bolt on and gives you twice the brake power

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
A good point I failed to mention was getting the correct pushrod as you stated!! Sorry!

Doug

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
no need to apoligize its all good info.a good brake rebuilder can put it all togeather for anyone .i use power brake service in santafe springs ca. for mine.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
82-92 Camaro/Firebird front sway bars will interchange. Look for the hollow 36mm bar on the WS6 Firebirds and later Z28 Camaros. It will have a hole in the bar near the end links. Easy to spot. Not sure what the IROCs ran for bar size.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,581 Posts
Do you already have a rear sway bar installed?
If not, I'd recommend finding one before upgrading the front bar. The larger front bars were designed to work in conjunction with a rear bar. Otherwise, you'll have way too much of an understeer tendency. BTW, if you find any G body coupe or sedan, such as a Regal or Monte with a rear sway bar in the yard, it will likely have the 1 1/4" front bar and the quick-ratio steering box, another worthwhile upgrade.

Bill.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I recommend being able to see the car in person you get the braces/and or sway bars off of. I got a Monte SS bar that must have been off a car that had been wrecked at one time because to the eye it looked fine, but when I went to mount it on it just barely didn't fit right. I go another one and some of my other braces off a Buick Grand National that I could tell the frame and suspension were nice and straight. When you put on the front sway bar on make sure to atleast get new rubber swaybar endlinks and bushings. If you want to get the most out of putting on that new swaybar on, I recommend using the polyurethane, graphite impregnated endlinks and bushings from PST. This is what I have on my 80 SS El Camino and they never squeaked in the cold weather here in PA. But, I never took the car out in ANY possible road salt conditions either.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
I used the 36mm F-body sway bar, and it made a huge difference. It bolts in using the stock clips ( with new bushings and sway bar end links).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts