El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1979 elco is lowered 3" in front and 2" in back. Front tires rub really bad now after drop spindles. They are 225/60r15 on a 7" wide wheel with 4" backspace. I just bought 205/60r15 to replace the 225s. Will this help? What size tires are you guys running in front on your lowered elkys??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Trevor - You've really got it down in the basement up front. I've found the tirerack to be the most help for me. They list pretty much every size of every tire (except some tread widths) if you go to the pull down in "specs". You don't say "where" exactly you're rubbing up front. There's a great thread on here about fitment where a guy uses 15x 8" Corvette wheels. (find that) It doesn't sound like (to me) that the back spacing is the problem, or the width. I'll guess diameter. The Corvette wheel thread states that a hair over 26" in diameter is going to be about max. He is correct (G- body). You're going to be limited by what's still being manufactured by the tire makers. I've dropped the front just a little over an inch & am trying to stuff a 16x 8" wheel (all 4) under there w/ a 4.5" backspacing (0 offset). The test tire I mounted up was too big in diameter, & I have a clearance issue (lock to lock) with the lower A-arms. I've determined that I'll need a 225/55/16 which is about 25.5" in diameter, 8" tread & 9.2" section. The 25.5" diameter keeps the tread away from the fenders & the frame. I will either have to extend the steering stops on the lower A-arms, or go tubular down there & maybe both. (I'm OK with that). I like Fat & Low & Tucked! Hope this helps - good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts