El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After thinking I'd solved all the major issues, I took my El Camino down to the gas station to fill her up. After a minute I noticed a small fuel leak from the top of my gas tank. What I found when I got back under the car was needless to say a mess. Whoever did the fuel lines last not only actually crimped a couple, but if my common sense is anything to go by, it appears to be hooked up wrong. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, just jump on the web and fight the right order of things. However, after about an hour of searching I can't figure out what I thought was a water/vapor separator above the tank actually is or what the proper way of hooking it up is, and unlike the previous owner of the vehicle I refuse to just start jamming hoses where ever they may fit. Any help or a schematic link would be much appreciated I'll crawl back under and snap a pic if necessary. Thanks again for all the help fellas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i finally found a partial answer...I guess its what used to vent the fuel vapors to the charcoal canister under the hood? To be I've never gone this far into classic cars so I'm still pretty new to all of this. The actual vapor canister itself is gone as well as whatever lines ran up to it at any point in time. From what I've read it was an emissions control feature and probably not necessary for normal functions. How could I safely cap that off without the worry of fuel vapors wandering around under my car and not cause a vacuum in the tank? Thanks again...Forrest

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with a 71 I just bought. HELP! Do you have the answer" I have fuel vent line zip tied to the rear of the gas tank, charcoal canister missing but line still hanging there, plug on one of the fuel line nipples on the tank, fuel return line open at fuel pump

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Hi Bruce,
Check da date of previous post when searching. A possible solution is getting a vented gas cap. Correct fix would be getting another canister. Enjoy da site.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Bruce

it can get confusing on the 70-72 years
some can have 2-3 maybe 4 vent hoses, plus the feed line and return line..
the tank can have 1-2 or 3 connections on it..

some threads/search
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-engine/344639-vented-gas-tank-not-venting.html
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/35-restoration-corner/347333-1970-vapor-return-line-pics-routing.html

http://www.bing.com/search?q=71+camino+tank+vent%2c+return+line%2cpics&FORM=HDRSC1
may give you some more ideas for a search..

:texas:

·
Registered
953 Posts
The charcoal canister is actually one of the smog items that works pretty good and has no effect on engine performance. When properly connected and maintained, it virtually eliminates fuel smell. Lots of canisters out there in the yards. I found a direct replacement for my 70 from a late 70's GMC van.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts