El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
For yrs my 1981 Camino with a 17 gallon tank has had the problem of the fuel not reading correctly. We've changed the gauge once and also the fuel sending unit twice but it still persists. Last time we made a change to it was about 3-4 yrs ago though. The gauge goes up a down about 1/16 at times. And reads empty at a 1/4 tank but before used to go to E, but never to full, but now goes to full and empty at 1/4 tank. Someone said something about adding an ohms booster, but I don鈥檛 know if that鈥檚 right.

When I pump the gas, it also spills out quick even though not full, so I have to kinda pull the dispenser nozzle out a bit and pump slowly. 馃槗

Registered
Is the tank properly vented? Not sure if that would cause a bad reading on the gauge, but could definitely cause the spill over.

Premium Member
new or stock tank ?
X2 and OEM or aftermarket gauge and sender?

The pumping gas problem is common and mine is no exception. I usually use the auto set on the pumps around here at the slowest to next to slowest notch depending on the pump delivery rate. Adding a vent to the filler neck can be done to help but honestly if you look at the angle from the filler to the tank you will see that the fuel doesn't exactly drop much on it's way to the tank so I figure it just doesn't drain down fast enough if the pump has some good pressure.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts