El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the electric fuel pump with the OEM Mechanical fuel pump because , you can't tell when an electric pump is going crap-out ... so any way when I'm driving , its ideling just fine , runs fine and takes off just fine going thru all three gears BUT when I start getting up to 2500 RPM's it starts surging and then runs and surges and runs , it acts like I'm running out of gas or have a vacume lock in the fuel line ... so I let off the gas and coast a bit and then give it gas and it runs fine and smooth at 2000 RPM's and under , but once I get up to 2500 RPM's again it starts that surging crap again !!!! SOOOO my question is , is it the sock on the sending unit maybe stopped up or could it be the gas tank corroded up ???? my see thru filter show clean gas coming thru no rust particles or anything .... I did notice when I first started the car up after hooking up the new pump , I watching the gas going thru the see thru filter the gas had a color of watered down whiskey color ???? then it cleared out ... Soooo what could it be ??? and how hard is it to drop the tank on my 1980 Camino if I gotta clean out the gas tank ???? Gotta get it fixed before Belton .... Thanks the Geezer:nanawrench: :nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
It is not hard to remove the tank you will just need to run it as low as you dare and then I usually take the line loose (that goes to the carb) from the line on the frame and insert a piece of 3/8 tubing with a longer piece of 3/8 fuel line in it quickly and it will siphon out the rest if the sock will let it have anything.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Trickie-Dickie, ya can't tell when a mechanical will krap out either. It just doesn't work right, just like an electric. But then, what do I know?? I've never had either krap out on me on an AUTO. Did, once, on a boat. Do you have a drain plug on your tank? If so, drain the gas. That MIGHT be your problem (how old is the gas?). How functional is your carb? Last overhaul/cleaning? All three gears? Auto or manual?:poke:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bonos , my Camino came with the Red Holley electric pump the low out - put pump for the street ... I did not know how OLD it was and I did not want to take a chance on it crapping out on me while on the road ... at least MOST OF THE TIME a mech. fuel pump will start weeping if the diaphram is going out TO GIVE YOU A HEADS UP and its easier to swap out .... I just think that the electric fuel pumps are designed for a performance engine and / or for racing applications .... Anyhoo I just might swap out my gas tank MAYBE for a new one MAYBE , the cheapest so far is $76.00 w/o the filler neck ... Thanks the Geezer :nanawrench: :nanawrench: :nanawrench:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Beep - Beep Beepster , what do you know you Geezer Want To Be , the ONLY reason you ain't had a fuel pump go out IS BECAUSE , you don't even put enuf miles in a year on your car , in other words you don't drive your car anywhere but to the grocery store and back on Sundays :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: .... Hey Beepster I would rather swap out a mech. pump standing up , rather than get on my back on the HOT ASPHALT and swap out an electric pump from under the car any day !!!!! Hey Beepster , they have not made any gas tanks with drain plugs under gas tanks IN YEARS , since the depression ..... Thanks The Geezer has spoken :nanawrench: :nanawrench: :nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I gots a drain plug on my relatively new (3- Year old) gas tank on the '56, so they still make them. AND, ya know, ya ought to keep your dirty socks out of the gas tank.:smileyb: When I replaced the tank in the '56, the sock was pretty much full of rust from the tank, and the sending unit was just about gone. Replaced all of it, and everything works fine, 'ceptin' the gas gauge ain't accurate. I'm not messin' with the sender to get it right, as it's too easy to skru up the placement of it on top of the tank.

Elect vs mech: I hafta agree with you on replacing one. Neither one is fun, but mech is easier overall.:beer:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Hey Geezer, whens the last time you did a tune up? The Olde but a Goodie had plugs in it older than your under ware!!! (better shape though!!!:poke:)
Also, did your problem start after you switched pumps? Have you changer the filter in the carb?
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
I for the life of me cant figure out why you messed with it in the first place.
you dont fix what aint broke. I would have just brought a spare pump with me but hey
im still learning.... cheers:nanawrench:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My T had a Holley red pump. Crapped out after less than 5,000 miles. The el cheapo O'Reilley electric pump has 19,000 miles on it and going strong.

Now, the El Camino fuel pump...well, check out "The Beast Died Again" thread!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well to all you Mechanics out there , this is what I have done so far ... My Camino was surging on the Hwy and I didn't want to take a chance on a " Who Know's How Old " Holley electric fuel pump Crapping out on me on the road ... Sooo I decided to go back to a OEM mechanical pump , OK .... this crapp-ola started before I did the swap-out , OK ... I may be mistaken Mr. DDD , I don't recall a Edelbrock 600 having a internal filter in the carb itself , I have a see thru filter going towards the carb and the gas is clear , thank you tooo much .... just in case it was ignition problems , I just replaced the cap , rotor and module and it still surges like its running out of gas ... NOW when it starts this surging crap , I'll pull over , pop the hood and I see that the see thru filter has only about 1/4 full of gas in it and not full when I left the house .... Sooo I'm guessing the sock on the sending unit is plugged up OR I still have something in the gas tank from when I gased up outside of Houston .... thats when my car would die out when I put it in gear after filling up ..... it had NEVER died out or stalled out on me since I have had the car ... Soooo Mr. Mechanic DDD , what ideas you got floating around that little head of yours ??? and I told you when I had changed out the plugs when you bought my car and I told you it was running rich because the computer had been taken out , REMEMBER DDD ? AND I do believe my under-ware looks alot better than your BLOOMERS any day and at least I don't turn mine inside out every week like you do Senior DDD to keep'em out of the wash .... just my .02 cents ... The Geezer has Spoken :nanawrench: :nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Underware? I go comando!!!:nanawrench:
You know, you broke the unwritten law (never fix something that aint broke!!! :poke:)
I'd start with checking the lines, if you have more than 1/2 tank I (think) you should be able to pull the line coming from the fuel tank to the pump off and gas will flow. If it were me and it was no big deal I'd hook the electric one back up and see if you still have the same problem (just cause it's new don't mean it's good) fuel pump I'm talking about.
Yes the sock could be bad or you could have trash in the tank, (I told you not to put your chewing gum wrappers there!!) but both of those aren't real common. I'd hook the old one back up and try it before I pulled the tank, but that’s me.
That’s not my 2 cents worth, that will cost you a quarter!!!:poke:
P.S. the Olde but a Goode is now running great. I'm still working on her but she'll now squeal the tires (not burn out yet, but getting there) and she takes off when you hit passing gear on the highway!!!:nanawrench:
Good luck you crazy cajun!!!!:beer:
Donny

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well DDD , ain't this a Great Country we live in The United States of Texas :texas: you pop your BVD's your way and I like to leave mine alone .... whats the matter for you DDD , don't you read no to good :dontknow: :dontknow: it has a full tank and last nite I shot some compressed air back thru the fuel line towards the gas tank just to see if anything was plugging up the sock , well I knew I blew the sock off when I heard something hit the side of the gas tank ... I went for a drive and got a mile down the road and again the engine wanted to stall out on me , pulled over poped the hood and I checked the fuel filter and again it was 1/4 full , when I left the haus it was full and had no air bubble .... Sooooo back to square 1 , maybe something in that Edelbrock carb maybe something in the float bowls , maybe :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: just don't know ... any way I just strut my little self around the car like DDD does at home , when he's trying to figure out something he can't figure out .... but thank you DDD for all that nickel .98 free ad-vice from ya .... Thanks the Geezer :nanawrench: :nanawrench: :nanawrench:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Soumds like it's official .. trash in tank.... time to drop tank and clean or replace it
got a spare tank if ya need one cheers.....

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Just a thought you might get them lines at the back pf the tank. Make sure they arent old and dry cracked...... cheers

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
"Is your see-through fuel filter after the fuel pump, or before it? About half full is normal for it before the filter. "

" I checked the fuel filter and again it was 1/4 full "

A very good question from Mike, and you 1/4 full would kinda indicate a pinhole in the gas line sucking air and not pulling enough gas. Since you've blown your dirty socks off (instead of putin' 'em in the washing machine), ya gonna hafta do sumpin' with the gas in the tank, drop it, and, at the least, put your old rotten sock back on the intake tube. You SHOULD make sure you get as much junk (rust/whatever) out of the tank before putting back up and refillin'. How much pressure did you use when you blew out the line? Or, didya du dat by mouth???:smileyb: If you used a compressor, and you have a/or more, pinholes in the line, you might find a spot along the line where gas blew out of the hole(s). :twisted:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If you have to clean the tank out. I have heard of people putting in a hand full of screws and shaking the tank really good. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
did you try running it without the cap to make sure it wasnt building vacuum from a defective vapor system ?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
OK all you Shade Tree Mechanic's , I FOUND THE PROBLEM :secret: ..... when I pulled the fuel line from the tank , WOW it pissed all over me like a waterfall ( SO NO CRAP IN THE TANK Woody ) got rid of the Old Holley Blue pump , So I put in a Brand New in line Electric fuel pump from Auto Zone $45 , a new large in-line filter coming out of the tank with new 3/8 fuel line from tank all the way to the pressure regulator , new filter cartridge BEFORE THE CARB. .... So with all this new stuff , when the car was ideling I looked to see the see thru filter would fill up ONLY to half way with the pump on , WHY ???? I bleed the fuel line at the carb to make sure no air bubble and turned on the pump and a little gas was coming out of the fuel line at the carb WHY ??? then I was seeing this black pieces of rubber or plastic in the filter going to the carb. , WHERE IS THIS CRAP FROM ??? well it turns out that those Bling - Bling chrome mesh cover fuel lines that came with the car were FALLING APART inside and plugging up the fuel line ... for an experiment , I put some fresh 3/8 fuel line straight from the pres. regulator to the carb . and it ran GREAT , put the old Bling stuff back on and it would die on me ... So I'm finding out that rubber fuel line needs to be replaced about every 1 1/2 years or so otherwise it starts falling breaking down and falling apart on the inside ... THANK GOD I didn't have to drop the tank :inlove: ... AND the my see thru filter IS COMPLETLY FULL like it supposed to be Beepster .... Sooo now my Baby is running Bitchin Great at ALL RPM's Yippee Ki-ya finally :beer: ... see you Good Guy Mechanic's in Belton Town , Thanks the Geezer :nanawrench: :nanawrench: :nanawrench:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts