El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some help, I’m starting to get a little sick of my El Camino. It was running fine before I tried to do a failed v6 TBI swap. Now I have a stock crate 350 with a 2BBL Rochester 2gc. The gas has been sitting in it for a while maybe a year. It was driving fine for about 12 miles and slowly died on me and it bogs down when you floor it and smells like its running lean at idle and adjusting the mixture screws does little. So this makes me think it’s a fuel issue. If it is this will be the 2nd cheap Mr. Gasket inline electric fuel pump that has went out on me. So I need to figure out what to do with what I have cheaply. I have a new TBI tank and pickup with a straight piece of 3/8 fuel line and a strainer. I was using a Mr. Gasket inline electric carb pump in the engine compartment to a mechanical pump. I’m thing about just getting a TBI fuel pump and using a regulator to take it down to 7psi…? Any thoughts and sorry for the long post. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think the only reason I didn’t do the tbi pump originally is that it looked like I couldn’t just install the pump with the new sending unit, one of the wires needed to be soldered on. My gauge is working but I don’t believe I have power running to the sending unit since it came with a diesel.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
why are you useing two pumps? i would remove the electric and run new fuel lines to eliminate any air leak. run just the mechanical pump, try running it without the cap to make sure the tank is venting correctly and not building so much vacuum that the pumps cant overcome it. disconnect the fuel line at the mechanical pump and blow back to the tank to make sure its not plugged. the fuel line in the tank is it rubber or steel. the rubber could be colapsing and shutting you down. when i do that i swedge the end of a steel line to fit over the end of the other, like a muffler and tail pipe do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mechanical Pump couldn't get fuel from the tank so i added the electric one as a booster and it was working until now. I don't have a charcoal canister eiter, just a line with a filter on it. Didn't think to check the gas cap that has happened before...going to try that thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if the mechanical wont pull fuel you either have an air leak between fuel and pump or a severe restriction in the tank. i ran a 500 hp 400 sbc in my 86 for over 10 years with a stock fuel pump and never had a fuel delivery issue except for when the sock plugged up. do you have the stock carb sender still ? have you tried to run it on a can of gas with a line to the pump?

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
I sure hope that you get it fixed but don't let that problem turn you against your car. If thats the only problem you ever have you'll be lucky,so look out.

·
932 Posts
An electric pump is suppose to be close to the tank and push the gas , when it is far from the tank and if there is a big chunk of gas hose it can actually cause so much suction that it collapses the gas hose restricting the fuel flow. Like other people stated if you are going to keep using the electric pump disconnect the mechanical pump , it sounds like you could be over fueling the engine .

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Aside from all the good advice others have offered about pumps, you can't expect the car to run well, or even poorly, with a tank of stale gas! Water, sediments, possible rust and other contaminants resulting from the degrdation of the fuel are working against you. Siphon out all you can. Add a can of STABIL and/or gas line cleaner/antifreeze.
There is a good chance your pump is crudded up and can't deliver fuel properly. Change filter too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Our '65 sat for about 1 1/2 years and before I even turned the motor over, we pulled the tank (which is a really easy job on the 2nd Gen's) poured about 2 gallons of gas in it and sloshed the tank around for 10-15 minutes. When we poured the gas out, it was real clean with no sludge. Then we installed a 2nd fuel filter inline before the carb and fired it up. Everything works great with no stalling. As said before, never let that old fuel (ours smelled like old varnish) get near the carb.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but I'm pretty sure the TBI pickup has an electric fuel pump built into the pickup. The carb wants no more than about 7 PSI or you will flood the thing. My guess is that you need to put in the right pickup and ditch the electric pumps. I'm running a 540 that needs a bunch more fuel than your 350 and I am using only a mechanical fuel pump, which works just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i finally get it running thanks to everyones help. I went to see what was wrong trying to test everything that was mentioned here and as i started i realized that i could twist the line running from the mechanical pump to the carb freely by hand so much that it pulled right off with no effort... so i'm assuming that's where i was loosing pressure at and maybe why i needed to add the electric pump to begin with. Either way i tested the electric pump which was running fine and ran a line from that straight to the carb and drove it for two hours with no problems...i also added some fuel stablizer to the less then quarter tank of gas and filled it up later. And looking back at my notes, in my tank i used a piece of 3/8 tubbing with a piece of rubber tubbing to connect it in place of the electric pump on my sending unit with a strainer on the end. hopefully i fixed my issues for now, if i ever need to drop the tank i'll switched to the swedge pipe only and run new steel lines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts