El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have had some issues with my fuel pump as of late and went to go and replace it today along with the fuel filter only to find out that I really couldn't. The nut holding the fuel line to carb will not move at all and the one holding the line to the pump also will not move. I added some images to help. Does anyone have any ideas on how to budge them?

Note: I tried PB blaster.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Why do you think the pump is bad. Try to get the small nut off the carb. Hold the big one with some big channel locks the samll one look like vice grips were used on it already you might think about cutting it and replacing it anyway. you can get a new one pre bent or bend one your self. Also replace the rubber one going to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Thanks for the advice. The car has a tough time starting and literally shut off on me the other day while driving it. I was starting to think that I would have to cut it. I tried the vice grips already and it just won't budge.

If it wasn't for it being fuel I would just hit it with a torch.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The ones up on the carb are pretty well damaged so I would look into replacing them. You can try and move the large one on the carb. That piece is the Fuel filter housing.
The one on the fuel pump doesn't look to buggered up yet. Try using a Flare nut wrench on it. Not using a flare nut wrench is probably what damaged the ones on the carb in the first place.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You may consider buying tubing wrenchs going forward. I bought a cheap set at Harbor Freight and have avoided rounding off nuts. With the proper size wrench & a little convincing (hammer time) this type of nut should come off.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you replace the fuel line, cut it close and use 6 point sockets. I had to do this on calipers before.
Tom
That's honestly the easiest way, just replace the fuel line. And when you replace the filter make sure it has the small black plastic valve attached. Without it, you have some really hard starts after it sits a day or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice! I was able to get the line going from the carb to the pump off but I am behind to think that tge replacement fuel pump I got is the wrong size.

I am having a hard time getting the new fuel pump to seat properly and there doesn't appear to be a push rod. I can take pictures tomorrow if needed.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, update, I was able to get the old one off, retract the push rod and install the new one. I fired it up and now have a slight leak around the brass connection
It is the brass connector that the line from the fuel pump attaches too. Is it possible to tighten that part down or is it a different problem? Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Disregard my last post! Job done! The person before me used some sort of plumbers tape on the threads so I peeled that off, applied some anti-seize, put it back on and not a drop.

Calling it a win for now.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I am so glad you were able to repair this..

I'm posting this for the people who are looking for answers.. Never use Teflon tape on any part of a car.. That also goes for the rubbery sealant they sell in place of a gasket. Just use a paper or cork gaskets. I've seen that gasket goop in the oil passages blocking any kind of flow in many engines.. I don't like using any kind of "form a gasket" on any of my engines.. Just paper or cork with Indian Head shellac if needed..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts