El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New LS3 crate motor in the front of my '65. New Tanks Inc tank and fuel pump in the back. Now it's time to run the plumbing.

(1) Where have you guys located the fuel pressure regulator?

There's a floor (bed) brace located just above the front of the tank. Looks like a great place.
(2) Is it too close to the tank?

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Hello,

That spot is exactly where I placed my Tanks, Inc regulator for my LS engine (LM7, to be precise). Keeping the regulator there lessens the expense of running expensive high pressure fuel injection hose anywhere else and there's less exposure of hose to road damage.

I used Adel clamps (See EBay or Amazon) to affix the hose with protective loom around it along the path to the front of the vehicle. I did not use the original fuel line clamps but I did follow the same path. The loose red wire is for my fuel level sender but I don't have a dashboard or a fuel gauge to tie into. I also cleaned up and reused the original GM ground location for the pump and sender ground wires - I soldered the two together.

The other picture is of the vent line hose with the Tanks, Inc. baffle headed to the very top of the fuel tank filler neck where it belongs for best venting and least chance of actual fuel slosh spillage.

I had a problem with the first pump they sent me but they covered it under warranty. It was always started and ran in at least some fuel in the tank but it appeared to me that the check valve in the pump was stuck closed. No problems since they replaced it and I get about 60 PSI at the passenger side fuel rail.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's where I put mine.

My tank doesn't have a place to plumb in the vent line on the filler neck. I'm not sure where to put it. Maybe put a check valve on it and ziptie it to the filler nect?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Had mine in about the same spot since 2002' , so I guess it's an ok spot.:rockon: Whole point with GM's return near tank is to reduce residual heat pickup from long lengths of line.

Converted my diesel tank pickup for tpi setup years before the LS swap. Have my vent line running up high with a fuel filter at the end.

·
Registered
62 Posts
reviving a old thread, sorry if that's frowned on here.

Just ordered a fuel injection tank from tanks inc. looks like most here went with their LS filter/regulator. That was my initial plan, but will be staying carbed for the time being just getting ready for EFI ... some day, so went with their universal fuel line kit which includes a straight through filter and their Edelbrock carb regulator with return, to get me down to a reasonable pressure for carb application. Question for me is ... where best to mount said adjustable pressure regulator? Same place, or should it be moved up and into engine compartment? hate the thought of having to run supply and return the length of the vehicle, but maybe I gotta?

---added---

this is on a '69, don't think that matters much to my question, but in case

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
The adjustable regulator doesn't care where you put it and to avoid another long fuel hose run, I'd still put the regulator near the tank. This regulator should be a set and forget item so I'd put it well clear of anyplace I'm going to often be working - such as under the hood.

Just don't forget to periodically check ALL of your fuel lines for leaks, weeps and seeps of fuel. These are fifty year old vehicles, afterall.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
the fuel line that comes with their kits is "6AN Russell Twist-Lok Fuel Hose".

since it's 3/8 ID can I clamp it directly to the existing steel line on my '69? I believe that's the stock fuel line size. I had planned to replace the existing steel line with a new one while doing this but someone on here pointed out I'd have to at the very least lift one side of the body to get the line off/reinstalled as factory... I haven't actually crawled under it to confirm that but taking their word for it, if my current steel line is good I may forgo this and simply replace all the rubber lines.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
In short, no. The factory lines are 5/16 with 3/8 OD. It would probably start and run but if you ever want to floor it you will probably be lacking in the fuel flow area. Also, at the pressure required for FI, clamping a hose to the old factory line can get a bit sketchy. The Russell hose and fittings are rated to 300psi. A little more secure IMHO.

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts