El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a grand national,or 87 ls monte(4.3 tbi) in tank fuel sender unit work in my elco tank? trying to get my tpi/t5 done on my 87 elco and dont want to track down a wagon tank and sender,unless i have to:wink1:and i do NOT want to run it externally.

·
Supporting Member
4,624 Posts
No, wrong angles and lengths. Only thing that really fits is an Elky 6 cyl TBI sender. Might try Rare El Camino parts to see if they have one they are parting out.

I have seen one person take a stock Elky sender and cut off the internal feed line and connect the fuel pump there. Just need a way to keep it straight and connected, and a way to connect the sock on the end of the pump. Also need to add a return input line to the sender.

There are some other interesting ways to fab up something. here are some links:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/in-tank-fuel-pump-conversion.html
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?p=260518#post260518

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I modified my stock sender with parts from a late 80's f-body. Only problem is the fuel gauge rheostat later failed & the stock tank has rust that will be an issue again later. I just lined the stock & f- body parts up side by side & made changes to the original, keeping the sock height the same.
Can't remember too many specific details, did this approx. 15 years ago. Still works fine other than no fuel gauge, planning on the wagon swap eventually.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmmmm,thanks guys i may just go the roadmaster way???? we will see...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used a monte carlo sender, for my LT1 swap. I had to bend the pickup tube a little, and my gas gauge hits empty quite a while before the tank is actually empty.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a monte carlo sender, for my LT1 swap. I had to bend the pickup tube a little, and my gas gauge hits empty quite a while before the tank is actually empty.
yes i looked into a thread online somewhere involving this " bending"of the 4.3 monte sender??? so did the mc sender fit in the you elco tank with NO mods???

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Another similar gm sender, or at least parts from it, could be made to work.

Things to watch for::: clock in position of top(notches). everything must point in same direction.
Pickup sock height.
Fuel level indicator position & range of motion.
External lengths of lines, etc can be modded easy enough.

IF modding your original:::
New multi-port pump clamps on with in tank grade of efi hose (supplied with new pumps ). stock pickup line can be cut to clamp on new pump, just make sure sock height & direction come out the same. Need something to help support pump besides just hose.
Original needs an open return line, no restrictions such as check ball. It is preferred that return line go to near the bottom of the tank to avoid static build up from fuel spraying in open air.
One line for vent, which I have a long length of line high up as possible with an inline filter on it.
Need power terminal for powering positive side of pump running through top. In my case, I had a diesel tank, which had a wire for water sensor, giving me the needed terminal. grounds can be anywhere to the inside of the unit.
That's your basic requirements. As I said , I did mine long time ago, so don,t remember all specifics. Also as I mentioned, a late 80's early 90's f-body sender worked for parts. The orange thingie inline is some type of pulse modulator, don't think it was needed.
Hope this helps if you want to be cheap like me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Used a caprice wagon sender and delphi pump of same year i think 95 and a 22 gal baffled elco tank, moved the pump arm about a half and inch and went on my way. I work at an oreillys so i got the chance to pull out the books and do a bit of research and visualization to see what would work and what wouldnt and then just ordered it from the dc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any updates on this part number?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Any updates on this part number?
If you're looking for an EFI sending unit to go with an EFI Elco tank, go with the one from Dixie restoration. They're the only one who sells a replacement sending unit. Otherwise you could go with a Caprice/Roadmaster wagon tank and sending unit which is what I did. Supposedly others have gone with aftermarket setups but those seem to be in the $500-700 range whereas my Caprice wagon tank and sending unit was $50 from the local junkyard.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you're looking for an EFI sending unit to go with an EFI Elco tank, go with the one from Dixie restoration. They're the only one who sells a replacement sending unit. Otherwise you could go with a Caprice/Roadmaster wagon tank and sending unit which is what I did. Supposedly others have gone with aftermarket setups but those seem to be in the $500-700 range whereas my Caprice wagon tank and sending unit was $50 from the local junkyard.

Is the Dixie sending unit for a 22 gallon tank now?
I already have a ElCo 22 gallon FI tank, but need to add a intank pump.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Is the Dixie sending unit for a 22 gallon tank now?
I already have a ElCo 22 gallon FI tank, but need to add a intank pump.
All the EFI sending units are the same so theirs will work perfectly with your tank. On the larger tanks, the fuel gauge ends up reading full for longer due to the extra capacity but the Elcos with the larger tanks did that from the factory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts