El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
No one here has found one that I know of that works right without twicking the rod. I've been waiting for almost a year for someone to find the right one. There's many post but no answers yet.:dontknow:

04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
ALAsh

Master Wrench
Year: 1979
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 11(IA,NE,ND,SD)
NECOA #: 17592

5th. Gen Fuel Sending Unit Issues...
If you read the threads pertaining to 5th. Gen replacement sending units you could conclude something "just ain't right" with the aftermarket units

Like another Elky owner commented I too replaced my sender with a new one from OPGI. And have had issues with it including.....

Would not read below 1/4 tank and not above 3/4 tank... So I dropped the new 22 gallon tank to check that the arm was not hanging up on something...It wasn't.

Then I wired the unit to work outside of the tank and it works fine... very responsive and full needle travel on the gage.

So I carefull re-installed the sender and filled the tank... Same issues... Have to drive for 5 minutes or so then the gage slowly moves to about 3/4 full and stops.

I ran the tank down until the gage was just in the "red" area and when I refueled found I still had over six gallons in the tank.

So as I left the gas station I ratcheted the steering wheel back in forth as if I were scrubbing the tires prior to the green flag..... and the damn needle worked its way up to 7/8 full in short order...

What the Hell is going on here :let_it_all_out:

I know several other folks are having similar issues... it would be nice to find the solution to this issue !

(And yes, I have a good ground....ran a wire directly from the battery to the ground wire on the sending unit.)

Is it possible the float arm is just too long and not allowing full travel of the mechanism which sends the signal to the gage ???

Arnie in Iowa
What do you mean "67 is old"...I'm just getting up to speed !!! (ZZ383 - 700R4 -3:73 Posi)

·
Supporting Member
4,728 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
Well I ordered one today from GM Parts East.... It cost me $264 :(
If you did it online pull up your order number and if it hasn't shipped cancel it or refuse the package. If you don't please let me know how it came out because I need one bad and you maybe the one who found the one that works unless there all made by the same company and re-labeled.
I will pray for all of us here and there's many post I have seen on this issue.:poke:

·
Supporting Member
4,728 Posts
Dave, you want to check that one very carefully against your current unit when it arrives. Some retailers have mistakenly started selling MonteCarlo sending units as being generic for G-bodies, but the angles are all wrong for the Elky.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i contacted gm and gm restoration last month before my efi conversion and they both showed it discontinued and no nos anywhere in there system nationwide.the carb one is available but not the efi one

·
ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
Dave, you want to check that one very carefully against your current unit when it arrives. Some retailers have mistakenly started selling MonteCarlo sending units as being generic for G-bodies, but the angles are all wrong for the Elky.
Good morning mike if I sent my unit out for repair do they make a cap for the tank so I'm not stranded without my truck? Also mine starts registering when the tank is about at 10 gallons with the original unit so that wouldn't be a ground issue correct?
Robert

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have come to the conclusion the sender I purchased from OPGI serves only two purposes...
(1) Provide connections for the fuel lines
(2) Act as a lid for the large hole in the top of the tank.

It is absolutely useless if you expect to actually know how much fuel is in the tank.

Yesterday the gage made it to "E"....
Rather quickly I thought but I filled it up anyway....

The new 22 gallon tank took 8 gallons !!!! :let_it_all_out:

Arnie in Iowa

·
ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
no way to drive without the sender in it. you can buy the reastat and do it yourself. it sounds as if the rap of wire in your reastat is broken

Thanks if I can find what the rheostat looks like and the elect. rating I can buy it I'm in the elect. parts biz.* or a part number . If anybody needs this and know what to ask for look up on google Carl Holmes Co. in Glendale Ca.
Robert

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave, an option is to have your's repaired. They are no longer available, and really hard to find used. Even if you find one, it will probably need repair anyway- mine did!

If it's the sender that needs replacing, you can buy the rheostat and solder it on, or get a working non-fi sender and swap the rheostat, or send it it for repair.

http://tristarrradiator.com/Products Page/Products Page.html
http://www.fuelsender.com/services.html

Thank you!!!!! Im sending my fuel sending unit to the today!!!!!

·
Supporting Member
4,728 Posts
Thanks if I can find what the rheostat looks like and the elect. rating I can buy it I'm in the elect. parts biz.* or a part number . If anybody needs this and know what to ask for look up on google Carl Holmes Co. in Glendale Ca.
Robert
The sender is 0-90 ohms. I took one off a new non-FI sender and brazed it onto the FI sender. Couldn't get the picture to load, but here is the website where they are available. Maybe your Internet is faster than mine!!

http://tristarrradiator.com/Products Page/Products Page.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.