El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Got mine at Dixie Restoration. It's a 4.3 FI sender, the only one that was available at the time. Works OK. I juiced it up a bit with an 02 Z28 pump to have enough pressure for the 5.3. Only thing is it said 22 gal but I think the sender is actually for the 17 gal since my gauge reads full for 150 miles then drops like a rock after. I'm pretty sure they can be ordered from GM (I can check Monday) I had a couple non FI last Oct but gave them away since my car couldn't use them anymore.

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Mine works like yours. Just wanted to find out what others are using and how well they work.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I think the "reading full for the first 100+ miles" is a G body thing.
My Elky has been that way for 12 years with multiple sending units at different stages.
My Wagon which is a completely different animal tank and sender wise is the same way.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,719 Posts
I think the "reading full for the first 100+ miles" is a G body thing.
My Elky has been that way for 12 years with multiple sending units at different stages.
My Wagon which is a completely different animal tank and sender wise is the same way.
I agree with Neil about "the G-Body thing". My 83 has always done the same thing and now only works intermittently. I have the Tanks Inc tank, pump and this Floatless Fuel Sending Unit in my 65. It all works and looks great. Unfortunately, they don't make a fuel injection tank for the G-Body BUT, just eye-balling, the shape and size of their 3rd Gen fuelie tank looks pretty close the the shape and size of a stock G-Body tank. One of our Facebook members sent me the measurement of his new Tanks Inc. tank he bought for his 71. I haven't had a chance to crawl under the 83 and get measurements yet but, if the size and shape turns out to be close enough - $$$ permitting - I'm probably going to swap in the whole tank/pump/sending unit.

Reactions: 87ls5.3

·
Premium Member
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. It's presently a non EFI. Maybe I should wait until I get a fuel injection system and put it in.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Thank you. It's presently a non EFI. Maybe I should wait until I get a fuel injection system and put it in.
If you're planning on going to FI I would lean towards what Les/Skylarkul said and hope he verifies the 3rd gen tanks can be swapped with the 5th gen. That would be a game changer since there are more options for that body style and if so, the mfg's should be paying attention so they can expand their market!

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
they do not make a sending unit for the 22 gal. efi tank any more. I made mine from a cheap s-10 unit and modified it to fit correctly and with the correct fuel pump( I run the L98 engine). the monte carlo tanks do not have the hump on top so the sending unit may not reach all the down to pick up all that fuel in the elco tank. pay attention to how much fuel you pump in the tank at fill up if your curious.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My EFI tank.

I'm using a Spectra replacement 22 gallon tank. It has a tray in the bottom so it is EFI ready. But that tank has a major flaw in that it doesn't vent properly making it almost impossible to fill the tank at a gas station. I cut off the neck, modified the inside and then welded it back on. I added hose connections from the top of the tank to the neck for a vent that works.

Second, I bought the EFI sender from Dixie that is only available in a 17 gallon option. I hated the way the sender worked. Might as well not even have a gas gauge if it never reads even close to correctly. Also I will only use Walbro fuel pumps. The Walbro doesn't fit the sender very well and has to be modified some to make it work well. That made using the float assembly on the sender even more problematic. So, I cut that float assembly off and went with a stand alone fuel gauge sender and installed it as you see in the photo. Now I was able to have a fuel gauge that is very accurate and fit the Walbro to the other assembly the way I wanted it to fit.

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_15491.JPG

IMG_15351.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

I also modified the fuel door so it opens from the side. But that's another story.

Anybody hate the way the El Camino fuel fill door opens from the bottom??? - GBodyForum - '78-'88 General Motors A/G-Body Community

20190127_145754.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Roger, for the information and pictures. I think I have the same tank, but was lucky and didn't have the venting issue. My gauge doesn't move for a long period of time. When it gets to the half tank it's then a quarter tank.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I like the stand alone float idea. That's the best fix I've seen so far. Although, I have gotten used to just filling up when the needle hits 1/2. I don't like going on less than 1/4 on any of my vehicles. Probably a left over from the days when I was younger and never seemed to have enough gas money!

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
I like the stand alone float idea. That's the best fix I've seen so far. Although, I have gotten used to just filling up when the needle hits 1/2. I don't like going on less than 1/4 on any of my vehicles. Probably a left over from the days when I was younger and never seemed to have enough gas money!

Joe
Or when the oil shortages in the 70s kept us in line at the filling stations for hours! 😂

1 - 20 of 23 Posts