El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Fuel Tank Sending Unit for a 86 Elcamino. This one is a V-6 FI motor, 4.3, with the 17 gallon tank.

It is my understanding that the carberator units are different?
Open for other options if you have ideas.
:dontknow:

[email protected]

Tacoma Wa

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You might check rockauto.com.

Doug

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Watch out there's a lot of post here about this. I'm still waiting for someone who has found a drop in without tweaking the sensor. Mine shows full till 1/2 tank the reads anywhere from 88 to 71 so when it starts this I fill up . Sure would like to replace it but if I have to bend the rod it will never read right again just like the one in the bathroom tank run run run. Hope you find the correct one.:beer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sending unit

That dosent sound good. The one in the car reads above full 99 percent of the time. If i make a hard tight turn it goes to empty.
I disconected the harness at the 3 pin plug going to the tank, no change. Using a different sending unit (from a firebird) i can make the gauge read full to empty.
At this point I am thinking sending unit. I did run a seperate ground to tank. So unless i have a wiring problem from plug to sender, or sender to tank, my thinking its the sender itself. The windings worn through? A fray of windings flexes over to ground on a hard turn?
Thoughts?:poke:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
M/C Fuel sender vrs ElCamino

Anyone know if the Monty Carlo fuel Pickup is shorter then the ElCamino's?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Fuel injected sending unit hard to find . Nobody I know makes one that works. I would say look to junkyards for used ones , swap meets, read through old posts about the proper part number ...

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
It has been my experience that when the gauge reads above full you have high resistances somewhere. Either the ground to the tank or on the signal wire in not connected well. I soldered a new ground on my tank and got a solid connection to the frame and the problem went away after I got a good ground from the battery to the frame too.

Good luck

·
Supporting Member
4,581 Posts

·
Supporting Member
4,581 Posts
If you are into DIY, you can also buy a new Rheostat and solder it on. I did this on mine, and it's been working fine for several years. I took the Rheostat off an NOS sender I had bought off Ebay ( not an FI sender- jsut the regular one). But I later found this place where you can buy the parts.

http://tristarrradiator.com/Products Page/Products Page.html

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Watch out there's a lot of post here about this. I'm still waiting for someone who has found a drop in without tweaking the sensor. Mine shows full till 1/2 tank the reads anywhere from 88 to 71 so when it starts this I fill up . Sure would like to replace it but if I have to bend the rod it will never read right again just like the one in the bathroom tank run run run. Hope you find the correct one.:beer:
Robert, I installed the new unit discussed in another thread.

Think I still have a grounding issue and plan to run a separate wire directly from the battery to the ground wire on the tank.

I removed the new unit from the tank when I had to add the vent tubes and it worked fine (outside of the tank) when I ran a wire directly to the battery ground.

Time will tell....

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but it is an issue many of us are contending with.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pulled the sender from the tank today. The rheostat had a break in the windings just above empty. I will check out getting this one refurbished.
Thanks for everyones input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts