El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a car appraisal site for insurance purposes and when i looked it up it told me to click all options that apply.

Well i typed it in for my 84 elco

1984, chevy, el camino, conquista, factory air, origional engine was a 305.

Well it gave me an estimate of $5,600 for my condition on and average market but i think that may be a bit high.

I checked on GMC caballeros and this is wierd

1984-Chevy-El Camino-Conquista-factory A/C-305 V8= $5,600

1984-GMC-Caballero-Amarillo- factory A/C- 305 V8= $7,000

Why would a caballero be exactally 20% higher than an elky though?

·
Registered
268 Posts
They are far fewer in number, about 1/3 less made if memory serves me

·
Registered
230 Posts
my 78ss is insured for $2500.00 comprehensive. it cost $17.00 and change per month. I can insure it for more but they need to see it to do that. at $2500.00 all they want are photos. maybe it is just the state i live in.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine will be about $39.00 a month for full coverage.

Thats why i had to get it valued. Only have liability currently.

Why $2500? Cant they total it easily at that price? Bad hail storm they will think its only worth $2,500...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Astro932: i know right!

Your name is cool, my license plate last 3 letters are 932, and your name is Astro932:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have Hagerty collector car insurance & my 86 Elky is insured for $12,000.00 & I pay only $275 a year for full coverage with road service They have never asked for photos or appraisals.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Can Hagerty be used for daily drivers?
You must have at least one other vehicle & there are other rules such as age of car,but I think all Elkys quaify by age.But what I pay includes liability,pip,fire,theft,collision etc. + road service.it's less than I pay for each of my other cars.I could insure it for more if I want & it would cost me more.

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
Classic insurance is not for daily drivers. Hagerty watches the mileage pretty close if something has gone wrong and you need them they can figure the mileage from the time of the policy until the time of the accident.
Grundy does not limit mileage but has other similar restrictions as Hagerty like it must be garaged.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Condon and Skelly charges $125/year for $10K agreed value coverage, collision and comp, no deductibles, full glass coverage, towing, etc. Had to provide photos but no appraisal. That's with a 2 car discount.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont you have to drive less than 3000 miles a year and 25 years old?

I can antique mine but they changed it to 30 years and 3,000 miles a year

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a 1 car so mine is more expensive. I am also a 17 year old male:poke:

I said like $502 a year and they had no problem insuring it for $7,000, we just had to get it appraised.

It might be wiser for me to pay the $502 for $7000 over paying like $470 for $5,700.

I could always call back and see if they would insure it for $10,000?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice!

Its an outdoor car so a hail storm could pay for itself!

Funny story, april of 2011 we had a bad hail storm and cause our whole nieghborhood to get new roofs. Well i got the elky 5 days later so i was blessed it wasnt in the storm.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Classic insurance is not for daily drivers. Hagerty watches the mileage pretty close if something has gone wrong and you need them they can figure the mileage from the time of the policy until the time of the accident.
Grundy does not limit mileage but has other similar restrictions as Hagerty like it must be garaged.

I have three sides up on my garage, just NO DOOR. Would one of the Classic insurance except me? I thought they all required photos of your car and I guess a picture of your garage with a door. NO, MAYBE or totally dumb question? Michael in Virginia:smile2:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Elkys don't get as beat up in hail storms as newer cars. We had a storm up here last year that wreaked havoc. Insurance adjusters took weeks to get to all the claims. There were PDR (paintless dent removal) people and insurance adjusters here from all over the country working like mad 7 days/week. My elky was in the same storm, not a single mark on it!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Most classics are 25-years old, so ALL Elkies are covered. Agreed value has drawbacks, a daily car and be garaged. Mine is insured for $17.5k, the '56 is $35k from Grundy.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
I have three sides up on my garage, just NO DOOR. Would one of the Classic insurance except me? I thought they all required photos of your car and I guess a picture of your garage with a door. NO, MAYBE or totally dumb question? Michael in Virginia:smile2:
They don't want a picture of a garage, by signing the insurance application you self certify that the car is "garaged". Not sure exactly what they mean by "garaged", I would ask them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts