El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I brought Misty home sunday evening from the painter (for lack of a better word) I didnt have the rear window back in yet so could hear things a little better.

I kinda jumped on the throttle a 'little', and when she shifted to 2nd gear there was a squeal about 2 seconds long.

Anyone know what this could be?

There was also a faint puff of blue smoke and 2 even rubbery dark places on the pavement.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Mine tends to stain the pavement in 2 places when my foot {slips} off the pedal connected to the monster stage 3 clutch. OOPSIE :dontknow:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
You gotta love leaving dark spots on the pavement! I like punching first gear @ around 4 grand and hearing my tires cry and seeing the front end lift a little when I slam 2nd. I can't seem to grow up.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I've experienced this condition before but never could track it down. All I know is a symptom is needing new tires more often than regular! Odd.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I also forgot to mention my right foot feels heavy around the same time it's happening too... :dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
2,164 Posts
Sounds to me like a sticky throtle pedal. The cure is to push harder. You may notice the tack hanging up around 7,000 RPM or so. The squealing should disapate quicker the harder you push down. You may also notice a large grin in the rear view mirror. I have passed the 50 yr. mark and I have not found a cure for it yet. :poke:

·
Registered
852 Posts
the problem is lead foot. they told me i had one and i told them my throttle return spring isnt stiff enough.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a terminal condition,for the tires.i passed 50 as well a while ago and it seemed to worsen with age and without the kids around.wife just shakes her head and says damn tires. im actually doing a public service,paveing the roads two stripes at a time.:twisted:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
For decades I have been struggling to control my relentless urge to let loose every pony I have available and make my tires cry. Too often, after I abuse the tires and bring my motor to full chat, I like to keep it pinned while I exercise my Hurst Competition Plus through all four gears. Sometimes I even hold my breath until it feels like the wheels are going to just fly off. It is a serious problem that has affected my marriage and also introduced me to some very fine law enforcement officers.
My wife finally convinced me to seek professional help, so I did. I made an appointment with a very expensive local psychiatrist, aka "shrink", to discuss and begin a therapy plan to help me overcome this addiction to "muscle car thrashing". The office visit was cordial and the doctor and I seemed to be on the same frequency. He did not seem shocked to hear the details of my affliction. When my session was over the doctor walked me out of his office where we stopped momentarily in the parking lot. He proudly asked me, "what do you think of my baby?" He directed my attention to a beautiful Z06 Corvette that he was now unlocking and stepping into.
I felt all the blood in my body rush to my brain and struggled to gain my composure as I came to the realization that I had just handed $175.00 away to someone who obviously suffers the same way I do! I felt ripped off. I laughed and told the doctor, "See ya on the road!"
As he drove away with his tires lightly squealing and exhaust bellowing motor music, I was suddenly overcome with a sense of euphoria. I AM normal. I AM not a bad man. It's OKAY to flog your car because it feels great!
I declared myself cured at that very moment. No twelve step program for me! Today I decided that all the money I was planning on handing over to this "know-it-all" is going to pay for a new supercharger I have been dreaming about for years. God, what a great country !!

·
Premium Member
12,553 Posts
{ I AM normal }
I don't know you can go that far but your driving habits are alright!!!:poke:
Great story!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Donny, I feel much better now.My post was meant in jest, of course. I thought it was funny and this place needs a little levity once in a while.
I may feel I am normal. How many others, including my wife and neighbors, don't agree? That's the real question.
I was born to smoke tires and break stuff. I have come to accept myself as I am. Ain't changing anytime soon.
:poke:

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
The term normal is as interperatational as the wierdo freak that came up with the term in the first place.:laugh:
Everybody is somebody's wierdo, I'm a few people's worth & ain't apologizing for it.:beer:

·
Premium Member
12,553 Posts
Dang it, the only sound my car makes like that is by locking up the brakes. But the tires will smoke!!!:dontknow:
Donny

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,921 Posts
Hm , if you were talking about underwear , I would call them skid marks . :poke: Hey , maybe that`s what that sound was when we all pulled out of the Super Chevy Show together a couple of days ago ! Was that fun or what ?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,358 Posts
the problem is lead foot. they told me i had one and i told them my throttle return spring isnt stiff enough.
...You might have a set of defected tires, Too much oil in the rubber during the processing of making the tire,so,when you slightly press the gas pedal,the tires has a bit of traction problem. Now, As far as "Lead Foot",Its Not a disease, its in the male DNA strands and its been program into the males only,some females try to copy this,but it will never work....(comment from WifeOfGilby: I'll race you any day old man! My DNA is just fine ;)...end of tirade):dontknow:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts